Audio By Carbonatix
The number of people waiting more than a year to start non-coronavirus hospital treatment in September was the highest of any month since 2008, new data reveals.
In England, there were 139,545 patients left waiting more than 52 weeks to start their hospital treatment - up from just 1,305 in September 2019.
The most recent figure is the highest recorded in more than a decade, according to the NHS report.
The number of patients admitted to hospitals in England for non-coronavirus routine treatment was also down 27% on the same time a year ago, the NHS England figures show.
Last month the number of people going to A&E was down 26.4% on October 2019, the data also reveals.
"The number of attendances reported is significantly lower than the same month last year and are likely to be a result of the COVID-19 response," the report says.
According to the new data, NHS hospitals in England missed a number of their cancer targets as well.
In September only 86.2% of cancer patients were seen by a specialist within two weeks of a GP referral - with a target of 93%.
In total, 94.5% of cancer patients began their treatment within a month of being referred - with a target of 96%.
In September, a third of patients were left waiting more than six weeks for tests such as MRI and CT scans, ultrasounds and gastroscopies.
The NHS target is that just 1% of patients should be waiting more than six weeks.
Latest Stories
-
New Horizon Fun Games: Vice President calls for stronger national commitment to inclusion
60 minutes -
President Mahama commissions B5 Plus Steel Ball Mill and Manufacturing Plant to ignite industrial revolution
2 hours -
Fighters demand amnesty for cannabis convicts following massive policy shift
3 hours -
Don’t cancel the pension scheme for cocoa farmers
3 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: CJ’s ‘No Prima Facie’ ruling and Burkina Faso bloodshed
4 hours -
Trump says he is considering limited military strike on Iran
5 hours -
Strategic voices of the opposition: Miracles Aboagye’s field advocacy and Akosua Manu’s communication shape NPP’s path forward?
6 hours -
Trump plans new 10% tariff as Supreme Court rejects his global import taxes
6 hours -
Ghana can supply steel to entire West Africa if domestic steel industry thrives – Mahama
6 hours -
Gyakie appreciates media houses for continued support
7 hours -
Imprisonment isn’t hopelessness – Ahafo GTA Regional Director tells inmates
8 hours -
GH¢150m allocated for Black Stars’ 2026 World Cup preparations — Ernest Norgbey
8 hours -
Strong food policies will protect the Ghanaian consumer against Non-Communicable Diseases – Groups
8 hours -
JORVAGO marks 15 years in music with new single
8 hours -
The Republic of Uncompleted Dreams…
9 hours
