Audio By Carbonatix
Shops, restaurants, and schools will be closed across most of Italy on Monday, with PM Mario Draghi warning of a "new wave" of the coronavirus outbreak.
For three days over Easter, 3-5 April, there will be a total shutdown.
Italy, which one year ago imposed one of the first national lockdowns, is once again struggling to contain the rapid spread of infections.
The country has reported more than 100,000 Covid-related deaths, Europe's second highest tally after the UK.
Italy's vaccination campaign has been hit by delays, as has been seen elsewhere in the European Union.
Last week the government in Rome blocked the export of 250,000 doses of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine to Australia in a bid to address shortfalls of vaccines.
Elsewhere, Bulgaria, Denmark and Norway have all paused the use of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine over fears it causes blood clots.
The World Health Organization said on Friday there was no indication this was true, stressing that countries should not stop using the vaccine.
In other developments across Europe:
- Poland registered nearly 19,000 new daily cases on Friday - the highest number since November
- Germany reported a rapid rise in infections among schoolchildren, with new Covid variants blamed
- In France, the number of patients in intensive care units exceeded 4,000 - the record figure for more than three months. The government has not ruled out more regional lockdowns
- Slovakia and the Czech Republic were hit by government crises over buying non-EU approved vaccines
What are the new rules in Italy?
From Monday, schools, shops and restaurants will shut in more than half of Italy, including the two most populous regions containing Rome and Milan.
Residents will be required to stay home except for work, health or other essential reasons.

The extra restrictions would last until Easter, Mr Draghi's office said, and over the Easter weekend the whole country would be turned into the high-risk "red zone".
"I'm aware that today's restrictions will have consequences on the education of your children, on the economy and on everyone's mental health," Mr Draghi said.
"But they're necessary to avoid a worsening of the situation that would require even stricter measures."
Cases have been rising across Italy for the past six weeks, exceeding 25,000 a day.
In a majority of the country's regions "hospitals and above all intensive care units are already overloaded", the GIMBE health think-tank warned this week, the AFP news agency reported.
The island of Sardinia is the only region where infections rates are low.
Italy has had nearly 3.2 million confirmed infections since the outbreak began last year.
Latest Stories
-
Gunmen allegedly kidnap teenager at Kabulya near Bimbilla, demand ransom
1 minute -
Fernandes breaks assist record as Brighton land Euro spot despite loss
4 minutes -
Sunderland reach Europa League at Chelsea’s expense
7 minutes -
Spurs beat Everton to secure Premier League survival
10 minutes -
Xenophobia: Ghana to receive first batch of evacuees from South Africa on May 27
36 minutes -
GPL 2025/26: Swedru All Blacks stun Kotoko in dramatic final-day comeback
41 minutes -
Slump continues as cedi becomes worst-performing currency in sub-Saharan Africa in 2026
1 hour -
Petroleum Commission hails 7 Eleven’s indigenous bolt and nut plant as sign of local content growth
1 hour -
Keta MP offers relief to Afiadenyigba SHS after fire outbreak
2 hours -
UMaT graduates 95 students, commits to training 1,000 coders
2 hours -
Modified Taxation Scheme: Ghana’s surest way to inclusive tax administration
2 hours -
Asunafo North Cocoa Farmers Union and partners rescue rural schools from infrastructure crisis
2 hours -
Africa must become a destination for investment, not aid — Deputy Finance Minister
2 hours -
Regulation by invoicing: Systemic flaws in NITA’s licensing push and threat to Ghana’s digital trust
2 hours -
‘I’m sick and tired of this country’ – Ghanaian in South Africa pours out frustrations at meeting with Foreign Affairs Minister
3 hours