Audio By Carbonatix
At least 21 people died in southern Brazil due to a fierce storm that caused floods in several cities, authorities said Tuesday.
Rio Grande do Sul Gov. Eduardo Leite said the death toll is the state’s highest due to a climate event. He said about 60 cities had been battered by the storm, which was classified as an extratropical cyclone.
Leite said 15 of the deaths occurred in one house in Mucum, a city of about 50,000 residents.
The Rio Grande do Sul state government said it had recorded 1,650 people made homeless since Monday night.
TV footage showed familes on the top of their houses pleading for help as rivers overflowed their banks.
The city hall at Mucum recommended that residents seek out supplies to meet their needs for the next 72 hours.
The governor said one of the dead was a woman who was swept away during a rescue attempt.

“I regret the death of a woman in a rescue attempt over the Taquari river,” Leite said in his social media channels. “The wire broke, she and a rescuer fell. Unfortunately the woman did not survive and the rescuer is seriously injured.”
Rio Grande do Sul was hit by another extratropical cyclone in June, which killed 16 people and caused destruction in 40 cities, many of those around state capital of Porto Alegre.
Latest Stories
-
Governed differently: The political economy of state absence in AfricaÂ
2 hours -
Boakye Agyarko vows to rebuild NPP as over 50 constituency chairpersons back his chairmanship bid
2 hours -
APL poll puts Bawumia ahead of seven potential NDC contenders
2 hours -
Character, jobs and cost of living: APL poll shows what voters will use to decide 2028 election
2 hours -
Vieira named new Senegal head coach
4 hours -
Global borrowing costs hit fresh highs on oil, AI and inflation
4 hours -
American Airlines to bring back TV screens on US flights
4 hours -
Carney’s final chance to convince Trump as US-Canada trade deadline looms
5 hours -
BOSTenergies meets fuel tanker drivers over their concerns at the Kumasi depot
5 hours -
X1 Energy Drink-backed DOL Super Cup ends with Ebusua Dwarfs crowned champions
5 hours -
Disney and ABC sue Trump’s media regulator to stop early licence renewal
5 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: Prempeh dethroned as CHRISSEC and KUHIS ignite quarter-final path
5 hours -
British couple on honeymoon killed in helicopter crash on Greek island
5 hours -
George Opare Addo to lead National Youth Forum in Accra
5 hours -
ECG invested GH¢710,965 in infrastructure replacement across Greater Accra – PURC
5 hours