Audio By Carbonatix
Potential investors for the controversial Damang Mine have begun throwing their hats into the ring, as efforts intensify to secure a new company to take over operations from Gold Fields Limited, whose lease expires on April 18.
The Minister for Lands and Natural Resources, Emmanuel Armah-Kofi Buah, though he did not disclose the number of bids received so far, says the process is advancing smoothly.
The Damang mining lease in the Western Region is held by Abosso Goldfields Limited, a subsidiary of Gold Fields Ghana Limited.

The 30-year mining lease for Damang expired in 2025 but was granted a one-year extension, which now expires on April 18 this year.
The minister led a high-level delegation, including members of Parliament, to Damang to familiarise themselves with operations and engage workers as part of the transition process to hand over the mine to a new investor.
He assured that the government is committed to protecting all jobs under the new arrangement.
“I can tell you that the tender process is going very well. I can also assure you that the government is committed to ensuring that whoever takes over the operations of the Damang Mine will protect the employees. That is our number one priority to ensure they are better off, not worse,” he said.
The minister further assured that the government is focused on securing an economically viable investor to operate the mine in the interest of the nation.

Chairman of the Parliamentary Select Committee on Lands and Natural Resources, Collins Dauda, says the committee will ensure there are no gaps in the transition process.
He added that a new lease agreement will be presented before the committee for consideration and subsequent ratification.
“As a committee, we do not want any gaps or lacunae. We want to ensure a smooth transition and continuity at the Damang Mine. Certainly, a new lease will be prepared and brought before the committee for recommendations before it is ratified by Parliament,” he noted.
National Chairman of the Ghana Mine Workers Union, Peter Barko-Wilson, commended the minister and government for the assurance to safeguard jobs.

He added that engagements with the minister have been smooth so far and expressed hope that the government will not renege on its commitments.
The Damang Mine remains one of the country’s most significant mining assets, with expectations high that the ongoing tendering process will deliver a credible investor while ensuring continuity and job security
Latest Stories
-
Dr Abena Nyarkoa to join panel discussion at Africa Together Conference in Cambridge
1 hour -
Walmart warns US shoppers are cutting spending as higher petrol prices bite
2 hours -
Flexible exchange rate regime critical in absorbing external shocks – First Deputy Governor
2 hours -
Toilets and changing rooms must be used on basis of biological sex, guidance confirms
2 hours -
Emily in Paris to end after sixth season, says Netflix
2 hours -
Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo
2 hours -
Russia and China condemn US over indictment of former Cuban leader
2 hours -
Bank of Ghana reverts to previous Cash Reserve Ratio policy after scrapping it last year
2 hours -
Ghana-eligible defender Beres Owusu signs permanent deal with Grazer AK
2 hours -
A Super El Niño is coming: What does it mean for Ghana?
3 hours -
Driving Schools Association pushes for mandatory driver training to reduce road crashes
3 hours -
Climate change exists with or without humans — Youth advocate
3 hours -
Plastic waste driving flooding and climate concerns in Bamaahu — Youth Climate Reporter
4 hours -
This week on The Career Trail
4 hours -
My book was born out of university research – Mary Anane Awuku
4 hours