The 94-year-old naturalist and TV host joined Instagram on September 24 and made his last post on October 31. His bio now reads: “Account no longer active.”
Attenborough’s last post on the platform said he was “encouraged by the huge amount of ideas and passion” shared on Instagram.
“This might be a wrap for this account — we won’t be posting anything else, though the account will stay open for you to watch David’s messages — but we hope it’s a springboard for many others to build on and share the ways we might create a sustainable future,” it read.
Attenborough’s account was run with the help of his colleagues, Jonnie Hughes and Colin Butfield, who acknowledged in the very first post that “social media isn’t David’s usual habitat.”
The veteran broadcaster’s first post — a video warning about climate change — gained him one million followers in what was a record four hours and 44 minutes, according to Guinness World Records.
Attenborough’s speedy acquisition of Instagram followers beat the previous record holder, Jennifer Aniston, who gained 1 million followers in five hours and 16 minutes after joining the Facebook-owned platform in 2019, Guinness World Records said.
Since then, Attenborough’s record has been beaten by actor Rupert Grint, who reached the million followers mark in four hours and one minute when he joined earlier this month.
- London Court throws out AG, others for sleeping on $170m case
- Mustapha Hamid appointed NPA boss
- Kennedy Agyapong cuts sod to construct 80-bed cardio centre at 37 Military Hospital
- 55% children considering a move abroad scary – CRI
- Private road transport operators to increase fares
- CID to investigate Power Purchasing Agreement that resulted in $170m judgment debt – AG
- Former Minister of Energy has caused $170m loss to the state – John Jinapor
- Alleged Coup Plot: High Court briefed about high-powered government delegation to first receive intel
- Gaddafi’s ‘Flying Palace’ returns home after nearly a decade
- Man drops dead after consuming full bottle of gin during competition
Fitch revises Ghana’s outlook to negative but affirms its B ratings
GPL: Four games to lookout for on matchday 30
Xavier-Sosu introduces bill to secure compensation for victims of unlawful arrest, detention or conviction
Message from the Morning Man: The Travelling Companion
Committee tasked to settle land dispute between La Traditional Council, Military completes work
Africa Education Watch justifies 2020 WASSCE report that revealed massive leakages, malpractices
Covid-19 Delta variant: Intensify testing system at airports – Dr Amuasi advises
Contribute your quota to national development – Youth-NREG boss urges youth at 2nd Anniversary
World Bank, IMF finalising work on Ghana’s Debt Sustainability Analysis
Police have no armed robbery evidence against siblings brandishing guns in viral social media video
Strengthen guidance and counselling unit in schools to help curb suicide thoughts – Lawyer Ankomah
6 arrested during anti-human trafficking operations
Help save forestry industry – Forestry Association
Man who shot friend over ¢5 debt charged with murder
Nutrition can’t wait because of Covid-19 pandemic – Nutrition International Country Director