A 21-year-old driver’s mate has been sentenced to eight years imprisonment by an Accra Circuit Court for having sex with a 13-year-old girl in two different guest houses in Accra.
Absalon Toboase, charged with two counts of defilement, pleaded not guilty.
The court presided over by Christina Cann at the end of the trial found him guilty.
The court said in sentencing Toboase, it considered the intrinsic seriousness and the gravity of the offence.
According to the court, it also considered the fact that the accused person had had no brush with the law.
The prosecution led by Superintendent of Police Agnes Boafo said the complainant is a trader residing at Mamprobi in Accra.
She told the Court that the victim stays with the complainant. Toboase was also residing at Lapaz in Accra.
The prosecution said Toboase and the victim who met on Facebook, had been friends for some time.
It said about a month ago, Toboase lured the victim with a love proposal on the social media site and arranged to meet her at Lapaz.
The prosecution said on January 7, 2023, Toboase met the victim, took her to a guest house, had sex with her and promised to marry her.
It said on the night of February 3, 2023, the victim packed some of her belongings, sneaked out of the complainant’s house and went to stay with Toboase.
The prosecution said the following the day, the victim arrived at Lapaz and met Toboase who took her to another guest house and had sex with her for the second time.
It said the complainant reported the absence of the victim from her house to the Police.
At the Police Station, the prosecution said the complainant received a call from the victim who informed her that she was at Mamprobi with Toboase.
It said the Police accompanied the complainant to Mamprobi and Toboase was arrested.
The prosecution said a Police medical report form was given to the complainant to seek medical care for the victim.
- Chamber of Young Entrepreneurs, EU and SNV Ghana, launches ¢3m Young Entrepreneurs and Start-ups Support Fund
- Hanno Barkhoff joins Kempinski Hotel Gold Coast City Accra as General Manager
- GRA clears air over allegation of harassment; recovers over ¢104,000 from upfront payments
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: This is why Black Sherif is ‘mad’ at the government
- Vodafone Foundation’s STEM and robotics training elevates young girls in the Western Region
- CIMG Customer Satisfaction Index: Only 5 banks scored above threshold of 98%
- Rumours of jostling for new NDC veep are needless distractions – Prof. Opoku-Agyeman
- Malta Guinness cleans Sakumono Beach as part of 2023 World Cleanup Day
- Russian Ambassador to Ghana speaks on current global geopolitical situation
- Government urged to partner private sector to drive ESG in organisations
- Musical chairs in banking sector as Abena Osei-Poku heads to Ecobank Ghana with UMB boss set to resign
- Music Review: M.anifest pays homage to 50 years of hip-hop with freestyle
- Kwahu-Nkwatia Nkosuohene receives peace ambassador award
- Ghana’s wake-up call to the 2023 SDG Summit: The urgent need to double-up efforts for Agenda 2030
- National anthem fills the air as police blocks #OccupyJulorbiHouse protestors again