At least 28 incumbent New Patriotic Party (NPP) legislators have lost their parliamentary seats in Monday’s elections.
Some 21 of them are either ministers, ministers of state or deputy ministers.
That is aside from the 41 who lost the NPP primaries earlier this year and thus did not contest yesterday’s polls.
Meanwhile, four NPP MPs are retiring, including Dr Anthony Akoto Osei of Tafo Pankrono, Kwabena Appiah Pinkrah of Akrofuom, Dr Ziblim Iddi of Gushegu and Shirley Ayorkor Botchway of Anyaa Sowutuom.
In total, the NPP will lose at least 92 MPs out of their 169 in the next Parliament. Hopefully, the new ones will live beyond expectations.
Below is the list of MPs who lost the elections on December 7 2020, their constituencies and their positions in government.
1) George Oduro – New Edubiase – Deputy Agric Minister
2) George Andah – Awutu Senya – Deputy Communications Minister
3) Yaw Buabeng Asamoah – Adenta
4) Boniface Abubakar Saddique – Minister of State
5) Siaka Stephens – Jaman North – Deputy Bono Regional Minister
6) Yaw Afful – Jaman South – Deputy Aviation Minister
7) Ali Maiga Hamidu – Dormaa West
8) George Gyan Baffuor – Wenchi – Minister for Planning
9) Derrick Oduro – Nkoranza North – Deputy Defence Minister
10) Charles Konadu Yiadom – Nkoranza South
11) Abena Durowaa Mensah – Assin North
12) Barbara Asher Ayisi – Cape Coast North – Deputy Minister for Works and Housing
13) Francis Kingsley Cudjoe – Ekumfi – Deputy Fisheries Minister
14) Alexander Abban – Gomoah West – Deputy Minister for Communications
15) Joseph Tetteh – Upper Manya Krobo – Deputy Eastern Regional Minister
16) Ebenezer Nartey – Ablekuma Central
17) Titus Glover – Tema East – Deputy Minister for Transport
18) Joseph Dindiok Kpemka – Tempane – Deputy Attorney General
19) Adongo Frank Fuseini – Zebilla – Deputy Upper East Regional ministers
20) Anthony Karbo – Lawra – Deputy Roads Minister
21) Michael Gyato – Krachi East – Deputy Minister for Water Resources and Sanitation
22) Paul Essien – Jomoro – Deputy Minister for Chieftaincy
23) Barbara Oteng Gyasi – Prestea Huni Valley – Minister for Tourism
24) Kofi Amoakohene – Atebubu Amanten – Bono East Regional Minister
25) Gabriel Osei – Tain
26) Oko Boye – Ledzokuku – Deputy Minister for Health
27) Elizabeth Afoley Quaye – Krowor – Minister for Fisheries and Aquaculture
28) Hajia Alima Mahama – Nalerigu /Gambaga – Minister for Local Government and Rural Development
29) Also, Upper East Regional Minister Paulina Abayange who is not an MP lost the elections in the Navorongo Constituency.
The tally featuring the National Democratic Congress (NDC) will be published separately soon.
- Stephen Appiah excludes Asamoah Gyan from his list of best Ghanaian players
- ‘I dread pain and abuse’ – A female head porter opens up on her daily trauma
- 30 communities in Central and Greater Accra Regions to experience ‘dumsor’
- ‘Government is either feigning incompetence on the point of how we fix structures or is pretending to fix them’ – Barker-Vormawor
- Police arrest notorious armed robber in Tema
- CID probes 53 schools over alleged corruption in school feeding programme; GES directs co-operation
- Debt increase of 137% between 2016 and 2020 lower than previous administrations – Ofori-Atta
- Covid-19: GHS to roll out second doses from May 19
- Virologist warns of third wave of Covid-19 in Ghana
- NSMQ2021: Mfantsipim School begins redemption campaign from regional qualifiers
MMDCEs and MPs must collaborate to stimulate development – Kwadaso MP
Gov’t to roll out eight additional interventions this month under Ghana CARES programme-Ofori-Atta
#FixTheCountry: Put your concerns in a workable format so we engage – Government to protesters
Trade Minister commends Ibrahim Mahama for investing in cement industry
NSMQ2021: Get trainers for your students to do better – Northern Region Education Director to school heads
‘Culture of silence’ rumours are false; media is doing well – Oppong Nkrumah
20% of Ghana’s population have at least one form of mental illness – Mental Health Officer
Developments in Chad worrying – CFR-Ghana laments
National Association of Small Scale Miners accuses military of burning excavators owned by legal miners
NSMQ2021: Northern landlords, Tamasco, three others secure tickets for national championship
Females outnumber males in Covid-19 vaccinations – GHS research shows
#FixTheCountry: We expected government to listen instead of speak – Convener
NPP will break 8-year election jinx- Ishmael Ashitey
Covid-19 scared us from family planning treatment – Adolescents in Tema Metropolis
FORIG begins research into over 60 lesser-known timber species to reduce deforestation