Audio By Carbonatix
Equatorial Guinea's national team captain Emilio Nsue Lopez, has retired from international football, a week after his suspension.
The decision follows a fall out with the management of the Equatorial Guinea Football Federation.
Last week, the Equatoguinean Football Federation suspended Nsue from the national team over what the described as "several episodes of serious indiscipline" during the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations in Côte d’Ivoire.
The Equatoguinean federation (Feguifut) said the 28-year-old had been involved in an "unpleasant incident" in Abidjan on 29 January - the day after the side's 1-0 defeat by Guinea which saw them exit the tournament.
Feguifut said Ivorian police had to intervene and the incident delayed the squad's return to Equatorial Guinea.
Nsue responded to the allegations via his official Instagram page with counter accusations.
The former Real Mallorca and Middlesbrough star accused authorities of financial mismanagement and corruption.
The Intercity player, retires as the country's all-time top scorer with 22 goals.
Nsue's last contribution was the Africa Cup of Nations where he finished as top scorer with five goals
His departure marks the end of an era, and the football community is left reflecting on the immeasurable impact Nsue had on the national team, coupled with the controversies that marred his final chapter in international football.
Nsue not only led the team but also emerged as the tournament’s top scorer, showcasing his striking prowess.
The 34-year-old’s remarkable contributions were highlighted by his five goals in four matches, including a memorable hat-trick when the Nzalang Nacional defeated the hosts 4-0 in the group stage.
Nsue’s skill, agility, and goal-scoring ability were instrumental in shaping Equatorial Guinea’s success in the 2023 AFCON.
He lad the Equato-Guineans to a respectable round of 16 finish at the tournament, after finishing second in a group containing eventual finalists Nigeria and winners Côte d’Ivoire.
Latest Stories
-
Today’s front pages: Friday, August 21, 2026
16 minutes -
Power outages could drive up cost of digital services — NITA
18 minutes -
Only 16% of Ghana health facilities meet basic sanitation standard — WHO / UNICEF
24 minutes -
Competence has no age; let’s stop punishing new businesses
41 minutes -
JoyNews Republic Bank Habitat Fair 2026 opens today at Achimota Mall
44 minutes -
What Is Wrong With Us: The roads that keep counting our dead
48 minutes -
MTN condemns recent xenophobic attacks on Ghanaians in South Africa
52 minutes -
Philip Nai: What happens at your front desk can make or break your brand
1 hour -
Ghana’s mining deaths fall sharply, but Chamber insists ‘three deaths are too many’
2 hours -
Tatale Sanguli officials destroy expired food products, warn traders
3 hours -
Police arrest two watchmen over alleged defilement of 14-year-old student
3 hours -
The woman behind General Mosquito: Could Ghana be meeting its next First Lady?
3 hours -
Court remands man over alleged Labone bank robbery attempt
3 hours -
Supreme Court to rule on injunction application on legal vacation today
3 hours -
Tamale Metropolitan Assembly distributes 10,000 bags of fertiliser to farmers
3 hours