Four people with suspected coronavirus have been put into isolation in Ethiopia’s capital, Addis Ababa, the BBC’s Bizuwork Olana reports.
Since last Wednesday, all passengers arriving from China are being screened at Addis Ababa’s Bole International Airport to check for infections.
At a press conference in Addis Ababa, Dr Lia Tadesse, a junior health minister, and other officials said all four of the suspected cases were Ethiopian nationals.
Three of them were students who had travelled back from various universities near Wuhan city, the epicentre of the outbreak.
Health officials say blood samples are to being sent to South Africa for further investigation.
To date Ethiopian Airlines has screened more than 22,000 passengers for symptoms of the deadly virus.
More than 100 people have now died in China, with confirmed infections surging to more than 4,500.
The virus causes severe acute respiratory infection and symptoms seem to start with a fever, followed by a dry cough. After a week, some people can experience shortness of breath and need hospital treatment.
The virus itself is a new, or “novel” coronavirus – a family that normally affects animals.
- Organised Labour rejects 18% salary increment
- Qatar 2022: “Kudus is currently the World Cup best player” – Prince Boateng
- Minority welcomes government’s decision to reintroduce road toll in 2023
- Government to reintroduce road toll in 2023
- Ofori-Atta has more integrity than 99% of politicians I know in Ghana – Prof. Stephen Adei
- ‘Insulting’ Ashanti Regional NSS Boss to appear before Committee of Inquiry
- Ato Forson calls out ministers and MPs for abandoning 2023 budget to watch football in Qatar
- 2023 Budget: TUC rejects government’s salary projection of ₵44.9m
- IMF confirms Ghana’s intention to conduct debt restructuring in 2023
- Ashanti Regional NSS Director suspended for verbally abusing a nurse
- COVID Levy: People feel scammed – Kofi Bentil
- Sam Jonah: Extractives, climate change and energy transition: what the future holds for Africa
- Darkovibes releases new single ‘Yao’
- Qatar 2022: Ghanaians want Black Stars to exact revenge on Uruguay
- WAEC releases provisional results for 2022 WASSCE; 8,486 candidates in trouble
- It’s not my fault Asamoah Gyan missed the penalty in 2010 – Luis Suarez
- Ashanti Regional Health Directorate engages stakeholders on Marburg virus prevention
- Conjugate vaccine in lessening typhoid burden in Ghana
- We still need to work hard to achieve our target – Otto Addo
- Ghana’s topmost CEOs to attend prestigious CEOs business networking cocktail
- We are working to support SMEs to leverage AfCFTA-Gender Minister
- Adidas’ in-ball sensor confirms Ronaldo didn’t score World Cup “hair goal”
- Black Adam: Dwayne Johnson offers update on Henry Cavill’s return as Superman
- Nima celebrates Mohammed Kudus with a mural
- Nigeria to push promotion of local languages at school