Police at Kodie in the Ashanti Region have arrested a 40-year-old man at a checkpoint for unlawful firearm possession.
The suspect, an ex-convict identified as Martin Agyei was arrested at about 12:45 a.m on Thursday with one AK 47 assault rifle, two magazines loaded with 26 ammunition, one butcher knife and one locally manufactured pistol.
Other items found on him include three mobile phones, two pullovers, a pair of white glove, one power bank, two pairs of sandals, cash of ¢1050 as well as two Chinese Yuan and $1 notes.
The items were retrieved after police on a snap check duties at Kodie intercepted a Daewoo Matiz car with registration AS 880-16 driven by the suspect from Kumasi-Offinso direction.
Nhyira FM police sources in Techiman revealed that Mr Agyei and accomplices were convicted and sentenced with various jail terms for robbing a filling station and raping of a fuel attendant in Techiman in 2009.
Though the suspect served part of the jail term, he was released following an appeal against his conviction.
According to a police situational report, the Daewoo Matiz car has been impounded while the suspect is detained.
- Charles Bissue will not turn himself in despite court order for his arrest – Lawyer
- Court of Appeal Judge to be investigated for ‘suspicious ruling’
- Gold for Oil policy cornering BDCs – Dr. Ofori
- Ras Nene confronts Achimota Mall security for stopping his team from filming
- Contact NCA if you are without Ghana Card and your SIM has been deactivated – Ursula
- Ghana returns to gold top spot as output jumps 32%
- Playback: Burial service of The Multimedia Group’s Lead Camera Technician Modestus Zame
- The Multimedia Group’s Lead Camera Technician, Modestus Zame laid to rest
- 2022/23 GPL final day: Medeama and Bechem title tug of war, Hearts of Oak’s relegation threat
- Tourists watch Russian man get devoured by shark on Egypt beach
- Prof Frimpong Boateng is a role model for fighting ‘galamsey’, follow his examples – German Ambassador urges Ghanaians
- Special Prosecutor is guest on Newsfile on Saturday, June 10
- Unemployment in Ghana is highest among female youth – ISSER report reveals alarming disparities
- GrEEn project plants 2,000 trees in Ashanti and Western regions
- Asantehene leads tree planting in Kumasi as part of Green Ghana Day initiative
- Johnnie Walker Black Label and Red Label ‘step out of boxes’
- Sankalp West Africa Summit 2023 on entrepreneurship slated for June 12
- French Open 2023: Novak Djokovic through to final after Carlos Alcaraz injury
- Man Utd owners spoke to PSG chairman about Sheikh Jassim bin Hamad Al Thani’s bid
- We need to join forces in fighting deforestation in Ghana – German Ambassador urges government
- Photos from burial service of The Multimedia Group’s Lead Camera Technician, Modestus Zame
- Karpowership and TTU give Subri River Reserve life with tree planting exercise
- SDGs Advisory Unit partners with Forestry Commission to plant 1000 seedlings
- Sudan rivals agree 24-hour truce, Saudi Arabia says
- Burkina Faso offers bounty for 20 ‘wanted terrorists’