Audio By Carbonatix
The former CEO of the Ghana Infrastructure Investment Fund (GIIF), Solomon Asamoah, has strongly denied allegations made by the Attorney General and Minister of Justice, Dr Dominic Ayine, that he is hiding in Senegal.
During a press briefing on March 24, Dr. Ayine claimed that Mr Asamoah was involved in a $2 million payment for the failed Accra Skytrain project, made without GIIF board approval and transferred to a non-existent company in Mauritius.
He also stated that Mr Asamoah is hiding in Senegal, having been tracked from South Africa. When contacted, Mr Asamoah reportedly said he would not return to Ghana for three months.
The AG added that if he fails to return, he will be tried in absentia.
In response to these claims, Mr Asamoah issued a statement categorically rejecting them as "false and baseless."
He emphasised that he was not hiding, stating, "I categorically reject the allegations that I have gone into hiding. This claim is entirely inaccurate and untrue."
Mr Asamoah explained that he left Ghana on Friday, March 21, for pre-scheduled board meetings related to his corporate responsibilities, which had been planned well in advance.
He clarified that he had been in Ghana for extended periods throughout February and March and had never been contacted by any government official regarding any need for his involvement in investigations.
“At no point was I contacted by any government official regarding the need for my involvement in any investigations,” he said.
While confirming his departure from Ghana, Mr Asamoah clarified that on Saturday, March 22, a day after his departure, he was contacted by an official from the National Intelligence Bureau (NIB).
The official reached out via WhatsApp to arrange an online meeting, which is scheduled for Wednesday, March 26. Mr Asamoah explained, “We agreed to meet to address any potential misunderstandings regarding the GIIF investments.”
In addition to denying any wrongdoing, Mr Asamoah took the opportunity to reflect on his career and the achievements of GIIF under his leadership.
He stressed that his work had always been based on “integrity, transparency, and accountability.” He pointed to GIIF’s financial success, noting that during his seven years of leadership, the fund generated cumulative net profits exceeding GHS 2.5 billion—more than double the original GHS 1.2 billion invested by the government.
“This success allowed the fund to grow from GHS 1.2 billion to GHS 5.2 billion by the end of 2023,” he explained.
Mr Asamoah firmly denied any wrongdoing, stating that he had no reason to flee or evade justice.
“I will return to Ghana shortly and fully cooperate with the Attorney General’s investigation, confident that my involvement will clear up any misconceptions and protect my reputation,” he said.
Meanwhile, investigation into the $2 million payment and the failed Accra Skytrain project is ongoing, and Dr Ayine has indicated that prosecution could proceed even if Mr Asamoah remains abroad, with the possibility of him being tried in absentia.

Latest Stories
-
World Cup reality check: Mexico outclass Ghana with 2-0 win in Puebla friendly
41 minutes -
Free speech: MFWA slams ‘weaponisation’ of state laws
1 hour -
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
2 hours -
UN releases $60m from central fund to tackle lethal Ebola outbreak
2 hours -
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
4 hours -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
4 hours -
“You do not need my permission” – Bagbin clears misconception over arresting MPs
5 hours -
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
5 hours -
Lupita Nyong’o rejects criticism of Helen of Troy role
6 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
6 hours -
Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory
7 hours -
2026 ACI World Congress: In Accra, a quiet reframe of how emerging markets see themselves
7 hours -
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
7 hours -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
7 hours -
Opinion: The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
7 hours