Calls for Fifa’s president to face a criminal investigation over his use of a private jet are “spurious”, football’s world governing body says.
Swiss special prosecutor Stefan Keller says there were “clear signs of criminally reprehensible behaviour” relating to Gianni Infantino’s flight from Suriname to Geneva in 2017.
Keller says he has asked Swiss authorities to investigate the matter.
Fifa said Keller’s claims were “baseless”.
Keller was appointed in June to look into complaints involving Infantino and others.
Fifa’s own ethics committee has already looked into the allegations and cleared Infantino of violating its rules.
But on Thursday Keller issued a press statement calling for the criminal investigation.
Fifa responded by saying it, and its president, were “shocked by the statement”.
“Neither Fifa nor its president have ever been informed of these spurious new allegations,” it added, saying the claims were “rejected in the strongest possible terms”.
Fifa is based in the Swiss city of Zurich.
- Social media reacts to how youth hooted at Akufo-Addo during concert
- Apart from some senior players, no one is guaranteed a place – Andre Ayew on Ghana’s World Cup squad
- NDC orchestrated the heckling of Akufo-Addo at Global Citizen Festival – NPP
- 23,495 Ghanaians test positive for HIV in 6 months
- Bagbin has not resigned from Ghana Bar Association – Dafeamekpor
- Black Stars arrive to rousing welcome in Spain ahead of Nicaragua friendly
- Frontiers Contract contains information we cannot disclose – Ghana Airports Company Ltd
- Ghana’s programme will focus heavily on debt sustainability – IMF
- Parliament approves fees for “access” to information
- ‘Stop the foolhardiness, Akufo-Addo’s booing at Global Citizen Festival wasn’t orchestrated’ – Stan Dogbe tells NPP
- We need consensus building on debt restructuring process – Dr. Atuahene
- Release incarcerated KNUST students – Katanga Hall Alumni Association
- Establish a debt limit in the constitution to control borrowing – Dr. Atuahene
- Election 2024: If literates are failing, try illiterates – Kumchacha to Ghanaians
- 14-year-old pregnant girl, 23 others rescued from being trafficked to Côte d’Ivoire
- Wa killings: 18 arrested so far
- Education Minister congratulates Serwaa Kesse Girls’ SHS for winning 2022 National Business Pitch Competition
- I will choose Mahama over Akufo-Addo – Kumchacha
- Government begins second phase of discussions with IMF
- Halt the activities of Seven Seas salt company – Ketu South residents to government
- Livestream: PM Express discusses Ghana’s impending debt restructuring
- Ghana cannot avoid debt restructuring currently – Cassiel Ato Forson
- Super Clash: Asante Kotoko file complaint over officiating
- KCCR records zero cases of Covid-19 samples in 2 months
- Luv FM Habitat Fair: Republic Bank offers flexible mortgage packages for home ownership