Audio By Carbonatix
A fire that broke out at a discount shop in Mexico has killed at least 23 people and injured 11 others, local officials say.
The blaze broke out on Saturday in the centre of the north-western city of Hermosillo at a branch of Waldo's - Mexico's largest discount chain.
Multiple local authorities described the incident as an explosion, though regional Governor Alfonso Durazo said the exact cause had yet to be determined. The Sonora state public security secretariat said it had ruled out the possibility it was an attack or act of deliberate violence against civilians.
Children are among the victims, officials said, with a 15-year-old girl among those taken to the hospital.
Images from the scene show thick, black smoke billowing from the building, with the flames spreading to cars parked in front of the shop.
After the fire was extinguished, scorch marks were visible on the shop's doors and windows, one of which appeared destroyed. The car immediately in front of this window is entirely burnt out.
"To the families who lost a loved one... I share your pain and offer you my full solidarity," Durazo said in a video address.
He added that an "extraordinary, transparent and thorough" investigation had been launched to clarify the causes of the incident and determine who was responsible.
Sonora state's Attorney General Gustavo Salas Chávez told reporters early on Sunday that most of those killed had died due to "exposure to toxic gases".
He said there was no indication that the fire had been started intentionally, but added that he could not rule out an investigation into the cause.
Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum wrote on social media: "My heartfelt condolences to the families and loved ones of those who lost their lives."
Waldo's shops are a common sight on Mexican high streets, with hundreds of outlets across the country.
The fire comes on the weekend when Mexico celebrates the Day of the Dead, where festivities are held for people to honour deceased loved ones.
The state government said it was cancelling cultural events planned for Sunday after the incident.
Latest Stories
-
Ablakwa seeks Russian support for Africa-led fight against Sahel extremism
8 minutes -
Host mining communities are partners in development, not obstacles – GJA President
10 minutes -
Ghana to sign 5 new petroleum agreements soon – Energy Minister
10 minutes -
GJA President urges Ghana to weigh environmental and social costs alongside mining revenues
22 minutes -
Irresponsible mining: The land is not your own – Prof Mike Oquaye cautions
30 minutes -
62 Ghanaians killed, 15 missing in Russia-Ukraine war – Ablakwa
30 minutes -
GJA President urges responsible, sustainable mining
32 minutes -
Ghana must take charge of its mineral resources – Prof. Mike Oquaye
38 minutes -
KickedIn uses technology to connect African football talent with global opportunities
39 minutes -
GoldBod did not record GH¢22bn loss; audited accounts show GH¢5.44bn surplus – Institute of Fiscal Policy Governance
43 minutes -
Mining comes with responsibility to future generations – Ga Mantse
45 minutes -
Ga Mantse calls for measurable CSR and stronger local participation in mining communities
52 minutes -
Ga Mantse urges mining industry to protect communities beyond the life of mines
1 hour -
Empowerher in Upper West region
1 hour -
Ga Mantse challenges mining stakeholders to consider long-term impact of Ghana’s mineral wealth
2 hours