Audio By Carbonatix
Traders at Akim Oda market have been thrown into a state of shock after a larger part of the main market was razed down by fire on Tuesday morning.
The cause of the fire was not immediately known as fire service, and disaster management officials, among other state authorities, were still assessing the situation to determine the cause and the extent of the damage.
However, officials have described the destruction caused by the inferno as beyond description and promised to get to the bottom of the matter and ensure the safety and security of traders.
Some traders said it had been long since a similar outbreak occurred in Akim Oda, saying it was approximately 18 years ago (2003) since a similar thing happened at the Oda main market.

Briefing the media, Assistant Chief Fire Officer (ACFO) Jennifer N. Y. Quaye, Commander for Eastern Regional Division of the Ghana National Fire Service, said on September 13, 2021, at about 2050 hours, Akim Oda Fire Station received a call that the Akim Oda main market was on fire.
She said the Officers rushed to the scene with a fire tender and called for more assistance from other fire stations to help extinguish the fire.
The Commander said due to the lack of easy accessibility to the market, it took many hours to quench the fire and added that the situation was brought under control at about 03:15 hours on September 14, 2021.
She said there was no casualty and called on traders to outline clear pathways when putting up structures by consulting the appropriate authorities and the Assemblies.
Victoria Adu, the Birim Central Municipal Chief Executive, consoled the victims and assured them that efforts would be made to ensure their safety after a thorough assessment of the situation.
David Okyere, Birim Central Municipal Director for National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO), said an assessment was ongoing to know the extent of the damage.
Latest Stories
-
Panic in Sunyani: Chiefs to perform rituals after mystery deaths of two successive headteachers
1 hour -
The party has lost ground – Paul Afoko breaks long silence to launch NPP comeback
2 hours -
“It is worrying” – Prof. Akosa sounds alarm over failing medical ethics
2 hours -
World Cup reality check: Mexico beat fringe Black Stars 2-0 in Puebla friendly
3 hours -
Black Stars lose 2-0 to Mexico in pre-World Cup friendly in Puebla
3 hours -
Free speech: MFWA slams ‘weaponisation’ of state laws
4 hours -
Senegal president sacks PM Sonko, dissolves government after months of friction
4 hours -
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
4 hours -
UN releases $60m from central fund to tackle lethal Ebola outbreak
5 hours -
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
6 hours -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
7 hours -
“You do not need my permission” – Bagbin clears misconception over arresting MPs
7 hours -
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
7 hours -
Lupita Nyong’o rejects criticism of Helen of Troy role
8 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
9 hours