Audio By Carbonatix
Formula One has canceled next year’s Chinese Grand Prix in light of Covid-19 difficulties, according to a statement released by F1 on Friday.
The race was scheduled to take place in Shanghai on April 16, marking F1’s first race in China since 2019.
But the country’s strict Covid-19 protocols have left F1 “assessing alternative options” for the fourth race of the 2023 season.
“Formula 1 can confirm, following dialogue with the promoter and relevant authorities, that the 2023 Chinese Grand Prix will not take place due to the ongoing difficulties presented by the COVID-19 situation,” the statement said, adding that an update on an alternative location would be provided “in due course.”
Over the past week, thousands of demonstrators have protested in cities across China against the country’s zero-Covid strategy.
As of Friday, thousands of buildings and residential communities across China remain under lockdown restrictions due to their classification as “high risk.”
Case numbers in the past week have hovered around record highs, with more than 34,000 new infections reported on Thursday.
This week, China’s most senior official in charge of its Covid response told health officials that the country faced a “new stage and mission” in pandemic controls, according to state media Xinhua – potentially indicating an adjustment to Beijing’s “zero-Covid” strategy.
The 2023 F1 season is scheduled to get underway in Bahrain on March 5. That kicks off a campaign featuring 24 races, assuming an alternative location is named in place of the Chinese Grand Prix.
Credit: CNN.com
Latest Stories
-
Dr Abena Nyarkoa to join panel discussion at Africa Together Conference in Cambridge
12 minutes -
Walmart warns US shoppers are cutting spending as higher petrol prices bite
32 minutes -
Flexible exchange rate regime critical in absorbing external shocks – First Deputy Governor
36 minutes -
Toilets and changing rooms must be used on basis of biological sex, guidance confirms
38 minutes -
Emily in Paris to end after sixth season, says Netflix
43 minutes -
Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo
58 minutes -
Russia and China condemn US over indictment of former Cuban leader
1 hour -
Bank of Ghana reverts to previous Cash Reserve Ratio policy after scrapping it last year
1 hour -
Ghana-eligible defender Beres Owusu signs permanent deal with Grazer AK
1 hour -
A Super El Niño is coming: What does it mean for Ghana?
2 hours -
Driving Schools Association pushes for mandatory driver training to reduce road crashes
2 hours -
Climate change exists with or without humans — Youth advocate
2 hours -
Plastic waste driving flooding and climate concerns in Bamaahu — Youth Climate Reporter
3 hours -
This week on The Career Trail
3 hours -
My book was born out of university research – Mary Anane Awuku
3 hours