Audio By Carbonatix
The Chief Executive Officer of the National Health Insurance Authority (NHIA), Dr Dacosta Aboagye, has dismissed suggestions that the timing of the rollout for free dialysis treatment is politically motivated.
According to him, when he was appointed to oversee the authority, he immediately informed the board that implementing dialysis coverage was a top priority.
Speaking on JoyNews’ The Pulse on Wednesday, November 13, he stated that he had already discussed this goal with the Vice President’s Office.
“I don't do politics with my work. So immediately I came in, one of the things that I told the board that we needed to achieve was dialysis, and I walked straight to the vice president's office.
“I did not even wait. And immediately the board approved it was the next day that I made that announcement that we're going to do dialysis. And I had consulted with the vice president,” he explained.
Dr Aboagye reiterated that the free dialysis treatment rollout has no political intent.
“When you come to the NHIS, I can tell you that I have told my staff that let's depoliticise the place. It is a professional institution. It's not a political institution. I was brought in by politics, but at the end of the day, I'm a professional as well,” he said.
He further emphasised that developing the free dialysis treatment policy involved collaboration with colleagues and the Vice President’s research team, underscoring that the initiative was not politically motivated.
“The six months is coming to an end. It's a well-thought-through plan. If we started in June, when will this come to an end? Do we leave them just like that? No. So there is no politics in this," he noted.
He added, “Those on dialysis, there is nothing like NDC patients and NPP patients. So let's desist from that. I'm pleading.”
Dr Aboagye assured that when the policy is implemented in December, all NHIS-credentialed facilities will be asked to offer it.
“..Our NHIS will absorb it, and the procurement of the dialysis machines, to support the system is also with PPA,” he assured.
Meanwhile, Dr Aboagye has dispelled concerns that the free dialysis policy may be at risk before its launch.
He said that the NHIA is expediting arrangements to provide additional dialysis machines to facilities participating in the policy rollout, assuring that the World Bank has already approved funding to ensure a smooth rollout, aiming to save hundreds of patients.
Background
Vice President Dr Mahamudu Bawumia has announced that starting December 1, 2024, the government will provide free dialysis treatment for all kidney patients covered by the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS).
Speaking at a stakeholder meeting in the Old Tafo Pankrono Constituency, Dr. Bawumia emphasized the government’s commitment to supporting patients in need through the NHIS. The new free dialysis policy follows a successful pilot program launched earlier this year for patients over 60 and under 18 years of age.
“The NHIS was collapsing. We have revived it with a huge investment. Childhood cancer and sickle cell have now been included,” Dr. Bawumia stated.
He continued, “Also, kidney dialysis has become expensive and a lot of patients are unable to pay for the treatment. Six months ago, we started the pilot program for patients above 60 and those below 18. We are finally bringing the piloting to an end.”
“From December 1, all patients will receive free treatment under the NHIS,” he confirmed.
Latest Stories
-
Mahama launches $300m World Bank-funded secondary school improvement programme
5 minutes -
Nato chief welcomes US sending 5,000 troops to Poland
7 minutes -
NIA pushes mandatory biometric verification as digital identity reforms expand
13 minutes -
Dress properly for visa interviews; it can influence approval – Ghana’s Ambassador to US urges
21 minutes -
Mahama unveils plans for second phase of ‘Big Push’ road programme for 2027
23 minutes -
President Mahama assures Savannah Region of imminent electrification works
25 minutes -
National Service Authority open to strategic partnerships – Ruth Dela Seddoh
26 minutes -
Mahama pledges to end double-track system by 2027 through expansion of technical and vocational education
28 minutes -
Delta Air Lines marks 20 years in Ghana, poised to offer travel options amid World Cup travel boom
32 minutes -
Turkish opposition fights court ousting of leaders in ruling boosting Erdoğan
37 minutes -
Australian man dies after falling down ravine on hike to Machu Picchu
38 minutes -
Ghanaian pilgrim dies during Tawaf ritual in Mecca
39 minutes -
Stakeholder dialogue in Tamale push for expanded agroforestry to tackle climate change and land degradation
40 minutes -
She refused to increase her sachet water price – and it changed her life forever
48 minutes -
Damang Mine concession should not be politicised — Mahama Ayariga
49 minutes