The spokesperson for the National Democratic Congress on Health, Dr. Jehu Appiah, has said that the party’s Free Primary Health Care policy will serve as an improvement upon the existing National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS).
According to him, Free Primary Health Care will focus on health promotion and prevention, which according to him will lift the burden from the NHIS which covers less than half of the Ghanaian population.
“The National Health Insurance covers slightly less that 40% of the population, leaving 60% of the Ghanaian population with no healthcare insurance,” he stated.
Dr. Jehu Appiah said this at a Send Ghana event which aims at interrogating the manifestoes of the two major parties in Ghana at the Coconut Grove Hotel in Accra.
According to him, Ghana has struggled to have a vehicle that would take us to universal health coverage for Ghanaians, and he believes that Primary Healthcare is the most effective vehicle to execute the task.
Meanwhile, Presidential advisor on Health, Dr. Anthony Nsiah-Asare has assured that the New Patriotic Party (NPP), when entrusted with a second term in government, will build new health facilities across the country and upgrade existing ones.
The former Director-General of the Ghana Health Service maintains that President Akufo-Addo is committed to ensuring that no community in the country is without a modern health facility.
“Our health manifesto 2016 was based on ‘health in all’ approach, so we are looking at health in its totality. We will take into consideration all other determinants of health in achieving our policy,” he added.
Dr. Asare entreated Ghanaians to view the party’s exploits in the health sector since assuming office in 2016 as an assurance of its dedication to revamping health facilities.
- My wife has left me because of my child with another woman – Osofo Kyiri Abosom
- The Fourth Estate uncovers fraud in SHS computerised placement
- Full video: SHS computerised placement for sale
- New chief falls from palanquin during coronation in Central Region
- 8 persons arrested in ‘School placement for sale’ exposé
- Officials of China Mall, Shoprite, Palace Mall picked up for tax violations
- WAEC explains BECE grading system
- 3 grabbed for pulling down storey building at Cantonments
- Haruna led Minority leadership had challenges working with Bagbin – Asiedu Nketia
- Assault on Latif Iddrisu: No policeman touched him – Attorney General
- We were denied CSSPS data to check public basic schools placement quota – Eduwatch
- GRA taskforce arrests five shopping malls managers for tax infractions
- Ghana free from sleeping sickness
- Forestry Commission demobilises excavator in Atewa Forest
- Emmanuel Owusu: Proposals to operationalise Ghana Financial Stability Fund (GFSF)
- Minority reshuffle: We didn’t consult Caucus for good reasons – Asiedu Nketia
- Chelsea transfer news: Blues bid £105.6m for Enzo Fernandez
- Mr Eazi featured in new star-studded #Boss Campaign
- I Am Investible launches project to create 20k jobs
- Finance Minister’s assurance on DDE welcoming – Individual Bondholders Forum Convenor
- African Development Bank approves $50m and €50m to develop agricultural value chains, improve food security
- ‘We Are One’ promo: The Osei Kuffuors emerge winners of first episode
- DDEP: There will be no punitive action for self-exemption – Individual Bondholders Forum
- Playback: PM Express discuss ‘School Placement for Sale’ documentary
- David Abagna completes move to Sudanese side Al Hilal