FixTheCountry Convener, Oliver Barker-Vormawor, has described the Ghana Armed Forces’ directive to Lawyer Jamaldeen Tonzua Seidu to stop using the ‘EX-Captain’ title as “completely ridiculous and targeted.”
The Ghana Armed Forces had warned the lawyer – who had served in the military for five years 10 months and 18 days prior to his voluntary resignation of commission – against using the ex-captain title because he had failed to serve the standard number of years he is supposed to in order to use the rank in civil life.
“GAF wishes to state that the actions of the Lawyer are in contravention of the Armed Forces Regulations and he is therefore cautioned to cease using the rank in his civil life,” GAF warned.
According to Barker-Vormawor, the cease and desist letter to the lawyer is merely meant to undermine Mr. Seidu who has recently been criticising the military’s “disorganized approach” to Operation Vanguard.
“Mind you, Jamal was the Legal Officer who was tasked to set up legal protocols for Operation Vangaurd and worked as its lead legal officer; so he has firsthand experience of the military’s complicity in the disorganized Galamsey fight,” he said.
He further argued that “Now, if someone is introduced as a former military officer, does that mean he is using his military rank in civilian life? Is he not a former captain? Or resigning voluntarily means he was never a military officer? Being called Former or ex Captain is not a use of military rank in civilian life.”
Barker-Vormawor noted that the “continuous refusal of our military to take accountability for its inactions and actions must cease if we are to build a credible democracy. Jamal served his country well and to the highest level as a distinguished officer.
“He brought so much goodwill and shine to the Army. He served his time and decided to leave to pursue other things. He deserves respect! Even when he criticizes the military in the hopes that it improves its service to Ghanaians.”
He has urged media organisations and the public to “see through this deliberate attempt at silencing and scoff at it.”
- Leaked tape scandal: Supt. George Asare invites 3 witnesses to testify against IGP
- Radio Ada journalist on trial over publication of fake news about McDan is dead
- Kwame Dadzie: Our celebrities should stage ‘demo’ on creative arts matters too
- Tigst Assefa smashes world marathon record in Berlin, Eliud Kipchoge achieves record fifth win
- Ebenezer Owusu writes: Things are not the same anymore
- It’s difficult doing business in Ghana, 21.9% tax on hospitality businesses harsh – D-Black
- Prof. Stephen Adei partners Chirano Gold Mines to roll out Innovative Literacy Program for local communities
- Democracy comes with rights and responsibilities – Enam Akoetey chides #OccupyJulorbiHouse organisers
- Dr UN Award incredibly stupid; I can’t believe I fell for that nonsense – D-Black
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Police apologise to public inconvenienced during protest
- GPL Week 2: Eric Bosomtwi stunner buries Kotoko in Bibiani
- Rwanda suspends coach for Black Queens are “like men” comment after 7-0 demolition
- Must it take you 2 years to publish alleged $1m bribery audio? – Barker-Vormawor’s integrity questioned
- Cecilia Dapaah case: Asking Special Prosecutor to quit over ‘frustrations’ wrong – Domelevo
- Cecilia Dapaah case: Current Assets Declaration Law is a joke – Domelovo