The German Development Cooperation and the European Union under the brand ‘Team Europe’, have initiated a collaboration to support implementation of Ghana’s first ever major strategic intervention on domestic Covid-19 vaccine production.
This forms part of a 10-year Government of Ghana vaccine manufacturing roadmap intended to make Ghana a vaccine manufacturing hub in the sub-region.
The partnership will facilitate the upgrade and strengthening of the Ghana’s Food and Drugs Authority and contribute to the production of various vaccines, including Ghana’s first batch of Covid-19 vaccines.
The ravaging effects of the Covid-19 pandemic have revealed gaps in national health systems and brought many lessons to the fore.
About five million lives have already been lost globally to the pandemic (WHO, 2021). Other adverse impacts include job losses, high cost of living, loss of public revenue, and economic decline.
As a measure to protect citizensagainst the pandemic, vaccines have now become a high priority on the agenda of many governments globally.
At the height of the COVID-19 pandemic and the associated high demands of the vaccine globally, which exceed supply, Ghana and many other developing countries could not acquire adequate vaccine for their populations.
Ghana and most African countries could not reach 40% of WHO’s vaccination target at the end of 2021.
While some other countries have recorded over 50% access to COVID-19 vaccine, only less than 5% of Africa’s population was able to access the vaccines at the end of 2021.
The Chief Executive Officer of the FDA, Delese Mimi Darko, explained that “this focuses primarily on the FDA and seeks to strengthen the regulatory systems of the A with an objective to maintain requisite WHO and international regulatory standards.”
The Head of Development Cooperation at the German Embassy in Ghana, Madam Dinkelaker noted, “the pandemic has had severe effects on health and economic development in Ghana. Equal access to vaccines is crucial and Germany is committed to support her endeavour to establish domestic vaccine production. Supporting the FDA Ghana their role in vaccine production and regulation is an important step in the implementation of government’s plan.”
- Disregard statement declaring Friday, Sept 30 as a holiday – Oyibi Divisional Council
- Danadams Pharmaceuticals and CEO in court over alleged fraud and forgery
- GFA suspends 2022/23 Ghana Premier League over court injunction
- Man arrested for threatening to release nude videos of late brother’s wife
- ‘I’m extremely regretful’ – KiDi apologises for ‘inappropriate and unkind’ old tweets
- T Bills, short-term securities will not be affected by Ghana’s debt restructuring – US-based Associate Professor
- Land acquisition: Here is what you missed on Joy FM’s Super Morning Show
- Pastor jailed for life after planning coup and black genocide
- We will still be a prime supplier of Mercedes-Benz services in Ghana – Silver Star
- Every single day Akufo-Addo remains President, the country drifts into peril – Dr Amoako Baah
- Banking sector crisis was not systemic – Alhassan Andani
- Banking Sector Clean-up: We should have allowed institutional disciplines to work – Alhassan Andani
- State institutions must raise red flags at the right time – Alhassan Andani
- GRASAG launches Graduate Research Trust Fund to support scientific and policy-oriented research for national development
- British Airways flight A380 makes technical stop at KIA
- Ghana, Korea $8 million rice project kicks off in Assin North
- ‘Little drops of the Word’ launched to help facilitate Christian children upbringing
- SIM re-registration: National Security has warned Akufo-Addo against blockage – Deputy Minority Chief Whip
- We are engaging ECG to fix anomaly with electricity purchase – PURC
- Chinese employer allegedly slashes throat of Ghanaian employee
- SIM re-registration: “Eat your humble pie” – Sam George tells Ursula Owusu
- NIA called, begged 9 Ghanaians to come for their Ghana Cards after filing complaint in court – Sam George
- Livestream: PM Express discusses the survival of banks in economic crisis
- Mfantsipim Old Boys Association holds annual engagement series
- betPawa Premier League: Seydou Zerbo getting frustrated with Kotoko strikers