Mighty Warriors from the small coastal town of Havedzi in the Volta region are the undisputed Kings of club beach soccer in Ghana.
They achieved this feat with a ruthless and clinical demonstration of beach soccer artistry and ten unanswered goals that blew away their final opponents Marine Stars from the Central region.
There was no doubt that Cape Coast would provide the perfect setting for a thrilling climax to the maiden edition of the CalBank Super League.
The regional tour which kicked off six weeks ago in the Western region, witnessed record crowds week after week, especially the vibrant youth of Cape Coast on the final day.
Pre tournament favourites and recently crowned African Club Champions Sunset Sports beat Accra based Layoca Beach Soccer Club 5-2 to claim bronze.
Mighty Warriors took home a cash prize of Ghs 3,500 from CalBank, gold medals and assorted CalBank souvenirs following their record breaking feat against Marine Stars.
The runners-up also took home Ghs 2,500, silver medals and CalBank souvenirs.
The MVP award went to Alfred Torsu of Mighty Warriors as he emerged most valuable player of the finals and the entire league tour.
Best goalkeeper award was swept by Robert Nyadedor of Mighty Warriors whilst Theophilus Abaidoo of Marine Stars and Eugene Dekpey of Mighty Warriors finished top joint scorers with 7 goals each.
The President of the Ghana beach soccer Yaw Ampofo Ankrah saluted the loyal and consistent investment of CalBank over the years describing it as a “priceless contribution to national development”.
“We are very grateful to CalBank and also focused on the task of complimenting football development in the country”.
The head of Marketing at CalBank Mr. Kofi Siabi applauded the fans for their passionate support and dedication to beach soccer.
“The turn out here is one of the best we have witnessed and CalBank applauds the people of Cape Coast and indeed all the other regions that hosted this maiden Super League tour”.
The President of the Ghana Football Association was represented by the central regional football Chief Mr. Kwaku Duncan who joined an array of other dignitaries that included the CEO of Cheetah FC Mr Hayye Yartey who is also the President of Ghana Bodybuilding.
The National Sports Authority(NSA) boss in central region Mr George Osafo Agye was also present.
For the lovers of statistics, the tournament recorded a staggering total of 99 goals in the finals played over the weekend.
Next on the calendar for Ghana Beach Soccer is the nationwide registration of new clubs and renewal of afiliation for existing teams.
- I have received calls to stop disconnection exercise – ECG boss
- Bride ‘faints’ briefly as Joe Mettle pops up at her wedding reception
- George Addo Jnr appointed Director of Communications at UK’s Coach Hene Sports Club
- Ato Forson was criminally reckless in ambulance transaction – Attorney General
- My divorce drew me closer to God – New EC member Rev. Akua Ofori Boateng
- We are one people – Bawumia and Mahama laud peaceful enskinment of new Yagbonwura
- Ghana Immigration Service cancels filling of embarkation and disembarkation forms
- Your electricity bill does not have a party colour – ECG MD
- We’ll meter all distribution transformers to fight power theft – Samuel Mahama
- Fitch upgrades Ghana’s rating to ‘CCC’
- Mahama calls for the intensification of stakeholder efforts, engagement on NACAP
- John Mahama recommends Public Funding of Political Parties Bill to regulate political financing
- Ghana Chamber of Mines censures Golden Star attacks, worried over upsurge of violence against mines
- Ex-President Kufuor urges his scholars to exhibit high levels of integrity
- Boris Johnson clashes with MPs over Partygate denials
- U.S. launches 5-year $5 million patnership with NHIA to improve quality of healthcare, digitisation, and access
- Bolt donates to 2 institutions as part of CSR activities
- North Dayi health directorate holds 2022 annual performance review meeting
- Livestream: PM Express discusses EC’s neutrality
- FWSC working on linking salary to productivity – Benjamin Arthur
- ECG doesn’t have means to prove power theft – Lawyer
- Endeavour to build quality homes – GREDA to members
- Poverty is our enemy; peace and development are our objectives -VP Bawumia
- Alan pays for printing of albums for 200,000 delegates
- Joy Prime premieres new telenovela ‘The Rich Also Cry’ on April 3, 2023