The Ghana Ports and Harbours Authority (GPHA) has suspended with immediate effect all cruise vessels heading to Ghana.
This is one of the measures by the GPHA to control the spread of the pandemic, COVID – 19.
Speaking with JoyBusiness, General Manager Marketing and Corporate Affairs at the GPHA, Esther Gyebir-Donkor disclosed that the directive has been communicated to all stakeholders at the ports.
According to her, GPHA activated the temporary suspension to ensure that the country’s marine ports are not used to import the deadly Coronavirus.
With immediate effect, all vessels coming to Ghana except cargo vessels will have to return to the port of sail.
According to Esther Donkor, the Authority is hopeful that the move will help control the pandemic.
“With immediate effect, we have decided to suspend all cruise vessels coming into the country except it is a cargo vessel. The Authority has also suspended all tourism activities at the ports including school excursions and all forms of institutional visits so that we can be able to manage the situation.”
She has also been explaining what the Port Authority is doing to avoid suspected cargo vessels from entering the port.
“We have dedicated a separate anchorage area in terms of any suspected cases where the crew are checked and when the result is negative before we allow them to berth and offload so that we don’t spread the virus,” she said.
Meanwhile, trading at the port is expected to decline as a result of the outbreak.
- Chinese nationals release dogs on GRA tax officers at quarry site
- Police pursue Caprice robbery suspects
- Beautiful photos drop as Mahama’s son and Algerian wife welcome their 1st child
- Domestic Debt Exchange: Time ticks for bondholders
- Alan Kyerematen’s campaign song pops up at Kufuor’s 84th birthday bash
- Some ministers I reshuffled are no more friends with me – Mahama
- 1$ now ¢12.80
- Kofi Kinaata’s ‘Made in Taadi’ 2022 edition cancelled
- Court discharges 6 Policemen accused of bullion van robberies
- Andre Ayew pays courtesy call on National Chief Imam with daughter
- Livestream: Newsfile discusses Minority’s failed censure motion and Ghana’s debt exchange programme
- US sports journalist dies in Qatar during Argentina v Netherlands game
- Kweku Antwi Boasiako: Etymology of husband and wife
- World Cup 2022: Brazil ‘in pain’ after exit on penalties against Croatia
- World Cup 2022: Messi the master as Argentina beat Netherlands in chaotic Qatar classic
- Newmont Ahafo Mine recognised for spearheading Agricultural Development in Ahafo
- DBG participates in AADFI CEOs FORUM for African DFIs
- Kuami Eugene, Adina, Joe Mettle, Lasmid and others to thrill fans at 2022 MTN Carols Night
- Government to set up Agricultural Development Zone in Northern Region
- Remembrance yields praises —Elder Nana Amo Tobin
- How long does it take to fall in love?
- Ghana Cedi: From worst to best performer against dollar
- COVID-19: Vulnerable populations face higher burden of morbidity and mortality – Health Minister
- George Floyd: Ex-officer J Alexander Kueng sentenced for manslaughter
- Stay away from workers’ pension funds – CWU tells government