Audio By Carbonatix
Ghanaian students in Italy have been quarantined following the rise of new cases of the novel coronavirus recorded in the country.
In an interview, a Ghanaian student based in Milan, name withheld, said that the authorities have undertaken the action to prevent the spread of the virus in the country.
“At the moment we are on quarantine and we have been informed that it will last for at least a week. They [authorities] will assess the situation and see if we need more days off or not.
“So far school activities have been halted, we do not have lecturers we do everything online now. Certain workplaces have been shut down; pubs, restaurants, masses for churches,” she said.
She, however, indicated that the Ghanaian Embassy in Italy has not engaged students on the way forward.
Italy is one of three global hot-spots outside China alongside Iran and South Korea.
According to Italy’s Health Ministry, more than 4,100 people have been tested and a total of 270 cases have been confirmed by Tuesday morning.
The COVID-19 virus has been declared a global health emergency by the World Health Organization (WHO) and warned that countries should prepare for a possible pandemic.
The death toll from the coronavirus is now more than 2,700 worldwide, with the majority being in mainland China.
There have been more than 80,000 recorded cases globally.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
I support calls for Energy Minister to appear before Parliament – Sagnarigu MP
3 minutes -
Frequent power trips alarming; urgent measures needed to prevent nationwide blackouts – Ben Boakye
7 minutes -
Blackout: Akosombo control station works to be completed next month – Energy Minister insists
10 minutes -
ACEP warns frequent power trips expose weaknesses in Ghana’s transmission system
17 minutes -
Ageing transmission infrastructure needs urgent investment – Agyapa-Mercer
21 minutes -
Ghana must address root cause of 330kV line trips to avert blackouts – ACEP
33 minutes -
Global Mercy Hospital Ship arrives in Tema for 10-month Ghana field service
36 minutes -
Wontumi eligible to pick NPP nomination form, but vetting will determine his fate – Opare-Ansah
38 minutes -
Michael Tetteh Kwetey to contest NDC Greater Accra Regional Chairmanship
2 hours -
Mahama disappointed by US opposition to UN slavery resolution
2 hours -
Chamber of Mines commends government for breakthrough in Adamus Resources dispute
3 hours -
CMC launches 24-hour cocoa operations
3 hours -
Construction work on Winneba-Accra Highway poses challenges for commuters
3 hours -
Audit irregularities surged in 2024 as GACC flags weak financial controls
3 hours -
World Rugby chair Brett Robinson and Rugby Africa president Herbert Mensah to visit Zimbabwe as Sables prepare for Rugby World Cup
3 hours