Audio By Carbonatix
A lawyer representing Ghana’s former Finance Minister Ken Ofori-Atta has said his client is pursuing permanent US residency rather than returning to his home country, where he fears he would not be tried fairly on corruption charges.
Mr Ofori-Atta is being held in an ICE detention facility in Virginia after his arrest by US immigration officials in January for overstaying on a visa.
Enayat Qasimi told Semafor his client has a “pathway to residency” that he would pursue.
He claimed there were “serious questions” about the independence of the Ghanaian judiciary and said that Mr Ofori-Atta had been subjected to a “political witch hunt” that meant he was unlikely to receive a fair trial over alleged financial impropriety while in office, from 2017 to 2024.
The office of Ghana’s attorney general declined to comment.
Ghana has issued an extradition request for Ofori-Atta’s return, which US officials told Semafor had been received.
Mr Ofori-Atta is expected to reappear before the Annandale Immigration Court in Virginia on April 27 after the case concerning his immigration status was adjourned.
He first appeared before the court in January during a virtual hearing presided over by Judge David Gardey, which focused on a bond redetermination and an initial review of the case.
Mr Ofori-Atta joined the hearing from the Caroline Detention Centre, appearing in a black shirt, spectacles and a nose mask.
His visitor visa, which was due to expire in February, was later revoked by US authorities. Court documents indicate he had been instructed to leave the United States by November 29 last year, but failed to comply, leaving him without lawful immigration status.
During the hearing, his lawyers successfully requested that the bond hearing and master calendar proceedings be held behind closed doors, citing the sensitive nature of the issues involved. The judge granted the request.
Meanwhile in Ghana, Mr Ofori-Atta and five others face more than 70 criminal charges linked to several corruption investigations, including allegations that the Strategic Mobilisation Limited (SML) contract caused a financial loss of over GH¢1.4 billion to the state.
Latest Stories
-
Walmart warns US shoppers are cutting spending as higher petrol prices bite
11 minutes -
Flexible exchange rate regime critical in absorbing external shocks – First Deputy Governor
15 minutes -
Toilets and changing rooms must be used on basis of biological sex, guidance confirms
17 minutes -
Emily in Paris to end after sixth season, says Netflix
23 minutes -
Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo
37 minutes -
Russia and China condemn US over indictment of former Cuban leader
45 minutes -
Bank of Ghana reverts to previous Cash Reserve Ratio policy after scrapping it last year
48 minutes -
Ghana-eligible defender Beres Owusu signs permanent deal with Grazer AK
55 minutes -
A Super El Niño is coming: What does it mean for Ghana?
1 hour -
Driving Schools Association pushes for mandatory driver training to reduce road crashes
2 hours -
Climate change exists with or without humans — Youth advocate
2 hours -
Plastic waste driving flooding and climate concerns in Bamaahu — Youth Climate Reporter
2 hours -
This week on The Career Trail
2 hours -
My book was born out of university research – Mary Anane Awuku
2 hours -
“I stepped back from politics for my husband to continue the journey” – Sammi Awuku’s wife
2 hours