Audio By Carbonatix
Haitian First Lady Martine Moïse spoke to the public on social media for the first time Saturday (July 10) after she was critically injured last week when her husband, President Jovenel Moïse, was assassinated, according to IBTimes.
"I am alive, thanks to God," Moise, who was flown out of the country for treatment, states in an audio message via Twitter, “...but I have lost my husband Jovenel."
The clip, spoken in Creole, was confirmed to AFP by Haiti’s Minister of Culture and Communications, according to the report. Moise also took some time to explain her final moments with her husband before he was assassinated Wednesday (July 7).
"In the blink of an eye, the mercenaries entered my home and riddled my husband with bullets ... without even giving him a chance to say a word," says Moise, “I am crying, it is true, but we cannot let the country lose its way."
Currently, Haiti officials arrested 17 of the 28 suspects accused of being involved in the assassination, including at least three who were murdered by police, the report says.
Now, due to the country’s chaotic status after the president’s assassination, international leaders want the country to quickly move forward with presidential and legislative elections, which were supposed to begin later this year, according to the report.
President Moïse was assassinated on the morning of July 7 when an armed collective approached his estate and opened fire on the couple. Though police currently have rounded up a majority of those suspected of being involved in the assassination, a motive has not yet been revealed.
Latest Stories
-
Quantum science stakeholders push new frontiers to address SDG challenges
16 minutes -
Pharmacy Professor urges stronger STEM focus at TOPP Basic’s 40th anniversary
18 minutes -
Letter to my Achimota School Senior – Guggisberg Never Died
19 minutes -
Alhaji of Radio Univers dies aged 63
33 minutes -
Ghana’s passport and visa architecture: A digital-first overhaul is long overdue
33 minutes -
Nigeria warns against enlisting abroad after reports of deaths in Ukraine
33 minutes -
Bondi Beach shooting accused faces court for the first time
34 minutes -
Our export quantum has increased by about $8.5m – GEPA Board Chair
35 minutes -
Kofi Ofosu Nkansah mourns father, hints arrest kept him away
36 minutes -
NAIMOS taskforce intensifies anti-galamsey crackdowns in Ashanti Region
48 minutes -
70-year-old visually impaired killed in fire incident at Sefwi Adjoafua
56 minutes -
Curfew lifted in Nalerigu and surrounding communities – Ministry of the Interior
59 minutes -
Central Regional Minister charges MMDCEs to exceed expectations or face sanctions
1 hour -
Open Letter from a Medical Doctor to the Health Minister on the Charles Amissah investigation
1 hour -
Benjamin Asare: the ultimate winner from Sunday’s Super Clash
1 hour
