Audio By Carbonatix
World No 2 Simona Halep has become the latest player to opt out of the US Open due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Six of the world’s top 10 women – Ashleigh Barty, Halep, Elina Svitolina, Bianca Andreescu, Kiki Bertens and Belinda Bencic – will now not be travelling to New York. The four players in the top 10 who are expected to compete are Karolina Pliskova, Sofia Kenin, Serena Williams and Naomi Osaka.
Halep, who won her 21st WTA singles title in Prague on Sunday, says she prefers to stay in Europe.
“After weighing up all the factors involved and with the exceptional circumstances in which we are living, I have decided that I will not travel to New York to play the US Open,” she tweeted.
“I always said I would put my health at the heart of my decision and I therefore prefer to stay and train in Europe.
“I know the USTA and WTA have worked tirelessly to put on a safe event and I wish everyone there a successful tournament.”
The US Open starts on August 29 but will now be without three of the four women's semi-finalists from last year, with Serena Williams the only one returning.
The men's draw has also been hit by withdrawals with Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, Stan Wawrinka and Gael Monfils among those not taking part.
However, world No 1 Novak Djokovic will defend his title and former champion Andy Murray will also compete.
Latest Stories
-
GTA 6 leaks – a nightmare or a blip for the biggest video game of the year?
3 hours -
Two injured in stabbing attack at Canada Sikh temple
3 hours -
Modi spent years building his strong image – why is he making Gen Z reels now?
3 hours -
Canada ‘should fight’ as US trade deadline looms, Manitoba premier says
3 hours -
Man Utd agree £70m fee for Brighton’s Baleba
3 hours -
Inter-Agency Football Gala: YEA organize event as part of National Youth Month celebration
3 hours -
Receiver fights High Court order to hand over No.1 Oxford Street Hotel to Cheddar’s company
4 hours -
Partey begins new chapter in Saudi Arabia with Al Shabab
4 hours -
NSMQ 2026: St. Francis Xavier deny debutants Pentecost SHS one-eighth spot
4 hours -
One killed in sword attack at Swedish school
4 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Tamale SHS sweep aside Kalpohin, Wenchi Methodist to reach one-eighth stage
5 hours -
Tupac murder accused told police in 2008 his nephew fired fatal shots
5 hours -
Heart of the Beast to Practical Magic 2: 10 of the best films to watch this September
5 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Tears of relief as Labone SHS survive Notre Dame Sem. in thriller to secure one-eighth spot
5 hours -
Onga Tomato Mix unveils Diana Hamilton as Brand Ambassador
6 hours