Audio By Carbonatix
The Ethiopian government has released about half of the UN's contracted aid drivers arrested last week, according to a UN spokesman.
At a briefing in New York, Farhan Haq said on Monday that 34 drivers had been released but 36 others were still being detained.
He hoped that the remaining contract workers and 10 UN national staff arrested by the authorities on Friday would be freed.
Their arrests of the UN staff and contract workers followed the federal government declaration of a state of emergency earlier in the month.
The emergency was declared as rebel Tigray fighters threatened to march on the capital, Addis Ababa.
On Monday, the UN spokesman also announced that the UN had released $40m (£29.8m) in emergency funds to Ethiopians.
"These funds will help scale up emergency operations in Ethiopia's conflict-affected northern regions and support early response to the drought in southern Ethiopia," the spokesman said.
Thousands of people have been killed and millions others displaced in the year-long war between the Ethiopian authorities and the rebel Tigray People's Liberation Front (TPLF) fighters.
Latest Stories
-
Suspected robber crashes stolen taxi into traders while fleeing mob at Ejisu
17 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Kumasi Academy secures one-eighth spot after commanding win over Bueman SHS, Hohoe EP SHS
39 minutes -
Republic Bank-JoyNews Habitat Fair: Day 2 ends on high note as patrons enjoy exciting discounts
51 minutes -
Big Push: Upper West MPs inspect N12 works, optimistic improved roads will curb robberies
1 hour -
India is turning to ancient water systems as modern ones run dry
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Anum Presby survive tense battle to deny St. Charles Minor Sem. one-eighth spot
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Heartbreak for OLA SHS as Aburi Presby SHTS deny them one-eighth spot
2 hours -
Laptop catches fire on US flight, with passenger treated at airport
2 hours -
Tano North chiefs tackle police over ‘routine release’ of arrested illegal miners
2 hours -
Accra-Kumasi Expressway almost complete – Roads Minister
2 hours -
ECG announces temporary power outages in parts of Tema and Ashanti Regions
3 hours -
Somalia child hunger crisis deepens after aid cuts, UNICEF says
3 hours -
Media urged to help shape Constituency Games implementation
3 hours -
Accra’s only public horse racing course destroyed at Borteyman
3 hours -
Dozens of people abducted in attacks on villages in Nigeria, police say
3 hours