Brazil’s Gabriel Jesus made one goal, scored another and was sent off in the second half as they beat Peru 3-1 on Sunday to win the Copa America for the ninth time in a pulsating contest at the Maracana stadium.
The hosts took the lead against the run of play after 15 minutes when Gabriel Jesus bamboozled two defenders on the right flank and crossed for the unmarked Everton to fire home from close range.
Peru equalised a minute before halftime when Paolo Guerrero scored from the penalty spot after Thiago Silva was adjudged to have handled the ball, but Gabriel Jesus restored their lead just moments later to put the home side 2-1 up at the break.
Peru pushed for a second goal, particularly after Gabriel Jesus was sent off for a second yellow card in the 70th minute, but it was Brazil who sealed the win in the final minute when substitute Richarlison converted a penalty.
It was Brazil’s first major title since they won the Copa America in 2007 and the first for coach Tite, who took charge three years ago.
- Canada implements visa-free travel for more countries excluding Ghana
- #KenMustGo: Entire caucus would’ve to take a decision on Finance Minister – Majority Leader
- I feel victimized; what wrong have I done in this country? – Prof. Frimpong-Boateng
- Assin North by-election: NPP elects Charles Opoku as parliamentary candidate
- Nigerian states cut working week to three days
- Parliament approves Gertrude Torkornoo’s nomination as Chief Justice
- Our mission was successful until big-people-sponsored-companies started doing whatever they want – Prof. Frimpong on IMCIM
- Rwanda’s President sacks more than 200 soldiers including generals
- Playback: Prof Frimpong-Boateng speaks about his arrest by Special Prosecutor
- If I were a thief, I would’ve been one of the richest Ghanaians – Prof Frimpong-Boateng
- Man arrested after body parts found at home
- Fidelity Bank reaffirms commitment to sustainability and social impact
- Green Ghana Day comes off Friday, June 9
- Pernod Ricard Ghana’s planting of 10k trees begins at Moree
- N’Golo Kanté poised to seal £86m-a-year move to Saudi Arabia’s Al-Ittihad
- Jude Bellingham: From humble beginnings to shining on football’s biggest stages
- West Ham win Europa Conference League: ‘Moments the club and David Moyes will never forget’
- NSMQ23: Nafana Presby SHS topples Berekum SHS in tie-breaker to secure national slot
- West Ham win dramatic Europa Conference League final
- Mrs Rebecca Appiah De Graft-Johnson
- CLOGSAG declares indefinite strike action in Ho Municipal Assembly
- African Border Day: Lands Minister calls for proper management of land borders
- 2023 African Boxing Championships: Black Bombers could miss out on competition
- Ofori-Atta must be supported to fully implement IMF programme – Analysts
- Crude oil contributed 3.7% to Ghana’s GDP in 2020 – EITI Report