Audio By Carbonatix
Xavi says he turned down the offer to manage his former club Barcelona last week because the opportunity came "too early" in his coaching career.
The former Spain midfielder has been Al Sadd's boss since his playing career ended with the Qatari club in May.
He said Barcelona chief executive Oscar Grau and sporting director Eric Abidal offered him the manager's job before sacking Ernesto Valverde on Monday.
The La Liga leaders instead appointed former Real Betis boss Quique Setien.
"I did not agree to this offer, especially as it is too early for me to coach Barcelona," said Xavi, 39.
"But it will still be my dream to coach the team in the future."
Xavi, who made more than 750 appearances for Barcelona between 1998 and 2015, added that he "loves" Setien.
"I love the way he works and I expect him to succeed with the team," he said.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Free speech: MFWA slams ‘weaponisation’ of state laws
13 minutes -
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
55 minutes -
UN releases $60m from central fund to tackle lethal Ebola outbreak
1 hour -
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
3 hours -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
4 hours -
“You do not need my permission” – Bagbin clears misconception over arresting MPs
4 hours -
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
4 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
5 hours -
Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory
6 hours -
2026 ACI World Congress: In Accra, a quiet reframe of how emerging markets see themselves
6 hours -
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
6 hours -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
6 hours -
Opinion: The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
6 hours -
Ebola risk raised to ‘very high’ in DR Congo
7 hours -
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
7 hours