Afrobeats musician, Kelvyn Boy, says he is pleasantly surprised at the rate at which his latest single, ‘Down Flat’, has taken the internet by storm.
Speaking to Joy Prime’s Ibrahim Ben Bako, Kelvyn Boy revealed that he spent less than 20 minutes composing the song; adding that it is the fastest song he has ever written.
Hence, he is thankful that despite the little time he spent on the song, it’s blown up and made it to music charts among others.
“Down Flat was made in less than like 20 minutes, that is my fastest song. I think the song came from above and it’s doing its thing, because the budget for the video, the energy, when we started promoting it was low,” he said.
Kelvyn Boy stated that although he always envisions success for all the songs he writes, this is the one that has taken a life of its own.
“I see this coming every time when I release a song but not like this. I drop a song it takes time to blow but this one, it’s just three months old and the things the song is doing each and every day, I wake up and I see different things.”
Kelvyn Boy released ‘Down Flat’ in January to rave reviews. The song later began trending on TikTok after one dancer created a choreography for it. This took the song to new levels.
On Tuesday, March 29, when Billboard launched its very own Afrobeats Songs Chart, Down Flat was one of the two Ghanaian songs that made it to the chart.
“Down Flat’ debuted on the chart at number 22. The song is currently at number 34.
Kelvyn Boy travelled to Nigeria to promote the song. After one of his interviews, he performed a live version on Glitch Africa.
Perhaps one of the most surprising things for him was seeing some school kids sing the song.
A music and dance session took over an early morning assembly at a basic school as pupils jammed to Down Flat.
The hundreds of pupils, clad in blue and white uniforms, chorused Kelvyn Boy’s song amid a choreography.
Also, the French Ambassador to Ghana, Anne Sophie Avé, and the Ambassador of the European Union (EU), Irchad Ramiandrasoa Razaaly joined the Down Flat challenge.
Reacting to the video, Kelvyn Boy commented underneath the post with love and flower emojis.
“You won 🏆,” Kelvyn Boy added.
- I have received calls to stop disconnection exercise – ECG boss
- Bride ‘faints’ briefly as Joe Mettle pops up at her wedding reception
- George Addo Jnr appointed Director of Communications at UK’s Coach Hene Sports Club
- Ato Forson was criminally reckless in ambulance transaction – Attorney General
- My divorce drew me closer to God – New EC member Rev. Akua Ofori Boateng
- Ghana Immigration Service cancels filling of embarkation and disembarkation forms
- We are one people – Bawumia and Mahama laud peaceful enskinment of new Yagbonwura
- Your electricity bill does not have a party colour – ECG MD
- Fitch upgrades Ghana’s rating to ‘CCC’
- IMF bailout to depend on government’s ability to achieve 55% of debt to GDP – Fitch
- Mahama calls for the intensification of stakeholder efforts, engagement on NACAP
- John Mahama recommends Public Funding of Political Parties Bill to regulate political financing
- Ghana Chamber of Mines censures Golden Star attacks, worried over upsurge of violence against mines
- Ex-President Kufuor urges his scholars to exhibit high levels of integrity
- Boris Johnson clashes with MPs over Partygate denials
- U.S. launches 5-year $5 million patnership with NHIA to improve quality of healthcare, digitisation, and access
- Bolt donates to 2 institutions as part of CSR activities
- North Dayi health directorate holds 2022 annual performance review meeting
- Livestream: PM Express discusses EC’s neutrality
- FWSC working on linking salary to productivity – Benjamin Arthur
- ECG doesn’t have means to prove power theft – Lawyer
- Endeavour to build quality homes – GREDA to members
- Poverty is our enemy; peace and development are our objectives -VP Bawumia
- Alan pays for printing of albums for 200,000 delegates
- Joy Prime premieres new telenovela ‘The Rich Also Cry’ on April 3, 2023