Audio By Carbonatix
Indonesia's President Prabowo Subianto has reassured local Islamic groups that he will withdraw from U.S. President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace' if the platform does not benefit Palestinians, a government statement said on Friday.
The participation of Indonesia, the world's largest Muslim-majority nation, on the board, and its decision to contribute troops for a Gaza stabilisation force, has drawn criticism from experts and Muslim groups at home, who say it compromises its long-standing support for the Palestinian cause.
Prabowo gathered the groups' leaders for a meeting on Thursday evening, where he reiterated his reasoning behind joining the board, according to a statement put out by the government communication office.
Prabowo will withdraw from the board if it does not benefit Palestinian and Indonesian interests, the statement quoted Hanif Alatas of the Islamic Brotherhood Front as saying.
"The president said that if he sees that there is no longer any benefit for Palestine...and that it is not in line with Indonesia's national interests, he will withdraw," Hanif said in the statement.
The Indonesian Ulema Council, a leading clerical body, had previously called for Indonesia to exit the board due to the U.S. role in the ongoing Iran war.
Nahdlatul Ulama, the country's largest Muslim group, said Indonesia's government could use the board to encourage de-escalation in the Middle East.
"Indonesia could declare that the (board's) agenda is on hold until there are talks on de-escalation and peace from the American-Israeli war against Iran," its chief Yahya Cholil Staquf said in a statement issued by Prabowo's office late on Thursday.
All Board of Peace discussions have been halted due to the war, Indonesia's Foreign Minister Sugiono has previously said.
Latest Stories
-
Dr Abena Nyarkoa to join panel discussion at Africa Together Conference in Cambridge
2 hours -
Walmart warns US shoppers are cutting spending as higher petrol prices bite
3 hours -
Flexible exchange rate regime critical in absorbing external shocks – First Deputy Governor
3 hours -
Toilets and changing rooms must be used on basis of biological sex, guidance confirms
3 hours -
Emily in Paris to end after sixth season, says Netflix
3 hours -
Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo
3 hours -
Russia and China condemn US over indictment of former Cuban leader
3 hours -
Bank of Ghana reverts to previous Cash Reserve Ratio policy after scrapping it last year
3 hours -
Ghana-eligible defender Beres Owusu signs permanent deal with Grazer AK
4 hours -
A Super El Niño is coming: What does it mean for Ghana?
4 hours -
Driving Schools Association pushes for mandatory driver training to reduce road crashes
4 hours -
Climate change exists with or without humans — Youth advocate
4 hours -
Plastic waste driving flooding and climate concerns in Bamaahu — Youth Climate Reporter
5 hours -
This week on The Career Trail
5 hours -
My book was born out of university research – Mary Anane Awuku
5 hours