Audio By Carbonatix
After months of anticipation and growing frustration, the National Identification Authority (NIA) has announced a major push to clear the backlog of unissued Ghana Cards and kick-start fresh registrations in the Greater Accra Region.
In a press release on Sunday, the Authority said beginning Monday, April 7, all its District Offices in the region "will begin issuing cards to Ghanaians who applied between June 2023 and now but have yet to receive them."
This long-awaited move is expected to bring relief to thousands who have faced delays in acquiring their Ghana Cards—vital for accessing everything from government services to financial transactions.
The NIA assured applicants that they can now return to the specific District Office where they initially registered to collect their cards.
"Additionally, all Ghanaians aged 15 years and above who have not yet registered for the Ghana Card are encouraged to visit any NIA District Office in the Greater Accra Region starting April 7, to get registered.
"From Monday, anyone in the Greater Accra Region who has not yet enrolled for the Ghana Card is encouraged to visit a District Office and complete the registration process—free of charge," the NIA said.
The Authority has also issued a strong warning that" no fees are to be paid for card issuance or first-time registration."
The public is urged to "report any NIA staff who demand money for these services.
"However, replacement cards and updates to personal records will still attract a fee, as previously stipulated."
Latest Stories
-
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
2 hours -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
3 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
3 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
3 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
4 hours -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
4 hours -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
4 hours -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
4 hours -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
4 hours -
Surveyors caution against treating compensation disputes as professional misconduct
4 hours -
Mahama calls for AU dialogue on migration after South Africa xenophobic tensions
5 hours -
I haven’t experienced any envy in the gospel music industry — Ohemaa Mercy
6 hours -
Prayer does not solve everything — Ohemaa Mercy
6 hours -
New PURC office symbolises stronger consumer protection – Dr Jinapor
7 hours -
Rev. Wengam re-elected Assemblies of God, Ghana General SuperintendentÂ
7 hours