Audio By Carbonatix
The Director-General of the National Sports Authority (NSA), Professor Peter Twumasi has justified the use of the Accra Sports Stadium for other events aside from sporting activities.
The Accra Sports Stadium has been used for a number of entertainment events in the past. The most recent of them is the Dancehall artiste, Shatta Wale’s concert in December last year.
Concerns have been raised about the leasing of the Accra Sports Stadium for such activities other than football, a situation that ends up destroying the pitch.
But appearing before the Public Accounts Committee on Wednesday, Prof. Twumasi explained that the Accra Sports Stadium is a multi-purpose facility, hence its usage for other activities helps in generating revenue to maintain the facility.
“There are also non-sporting activities like other entertainment which can also be accommodated.
“The positive aspect of revenue generation which is very positive for the running of the organisation…This IGF arrangement that we do are very harmless to the infrastructure and it’s a good way for the organisation to also generate revenue,” he told the Committee.
According to him, the damage to the facility is not “really a burden” as the revenue generated through the leasing of the stadium is sufficient to repair the damages of the stadium.
With the 2023 Africa Games set to take place in August, the NSA in December 2021 and somewhere last year embarked on some renovation works at the Stadium to ensure that the pitch is ready to host the games.
Professor Peter Twumasi in September last year assured that the facility would be in good shape and ready to host the games in August this year.
“Already with what we have, if we were to even look at just that, they are more than enough for us to be able to host the Africa Games. Talk about the Accra Sports Stadium, Baba Yara, here can do almost all the athletics. Yes, here we can do all the track and field events, the Baba Yara Stadium is bigger than the Alexandria Stadium that we all saw and I think you all know about it,” he said in an interview with Luv FM.
Latest Stories
-
We Condemn Publicly. We Download Privately — A Ghanaian Digital Dilemma
41 minutes -
Renaming KIA to Accra International Airport key to reviving national airline – Transport Minister
2 hours -
Interior Minister urges public not to share images of Burkina Faso attack victims
2 hours -
Unknown persons desecrate graves at Asante Mampong cemetery
2 hours -
I will tour cocoa-growing areas to explain new price – Eric Opoku
2 hours -
Ghana to host high-level national consultative on use of explosive weapons in populated areas
2 hours -
Daily Insight for CEOs: Leadership Communication and Alignment
2 hours -
Ace Ankomah writes: Let’s coffee our cocoa: My Sunday morning musings
2 hours -
Real income of cocoa farmers has improved – Agriculture Minister
2 hours -
I’ll tour cocoa-growing areas to explain new price – Eric Opoku
2 hours -
Titao attack should be wake-up call for Ghana’s security architecture – Samuel Jinapor
2 hours -
New Juaben South MP Okyere Baafi condemns Burkina Faso attack, demands probe into government response
3 hours -
A/R: Unknown assailants desecrate graves at Asante Mampong cemetery
3 hours -
What is wrong with us: Africans know mining, but do not understand the business and consequences of mining
3 hours -
Ghana Sports Fund begins grassroots field assessment in Volta North, uncovers talent and infrastructure gaps
3 hours
