Audio By Carbonatix
Presidential Advisor on Health, Dr Anthony Nsiah-Asare, says government’s plan to provide free dialysis treatment is motivated by compassion, not politics.
In an interview on Joy News' PM Express on Monday, he said the decision to expand dialysis coverage is a well-considered commitment to address the critical health needs of Ghanaians.
“Yes, government keeps its word. You remember when we said we were going to give free dialysis to the vulnerable group that is zero to 18 years and also above 60 years, and two sessions for patients aged 18 to 59 years, government kept its word, and we have paid so far,” Dr Nsiah-Asare noted.
He stated that government has been fulfilling its promises to vulnerable groups, particularly those needing life-saving treatments, and that this policy would continue in the same vein.
His remarks came after Vice President Dr Mahamudu Bawumia’s recent announcement that from December 1, dialysis treatment will be free for all kidney patients under Ghana’s National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS).
When asked whether Dr Bawumia’s pledge was politically motivated, Dr Nsiah-Asare dismissed the idea that the initiative was designed to gain votes.
“The need is to save Ghanaians. That was the consideration—not to win votes,” he said. “After all, not everybody who needs dialysis in this country…If it were really for votes alone, we would say, ‘Oh, there are only very few of them, so let’s leave them aside.’
"But our government…thinks about the health of the people, and that is the reason why he made that statement,” Dr Nsiah-Asare added, underscoring government’s focus on supporting the most vulnerable citizens.
He elaborated on the financial burden that dialysis patients face, which often leads to severe hardship.
“Even if you are a billionaire and on dialysis for five to ten years, you become a pauper,” he said.
“That’s why if you are a government in power…you have to think about them and make sure that people don’t get into renal failure to go through that system and that they get the best quality treatment as a people in this country.”
Dr Nsiah Asare cited government’s ongoing commitment to helping Ghanaians avoid financial ruin due to health expenses, describing the free dialysis plan as a way to extend crucial support to those in need.
He further stressed that the government’s commitment to this initiative reflects empathy and a sense of responsibility to ensure all Ghanaians have access to quality health care, regardless of the election cycle. “It’s not political,” he said.
“It’s the empathy and the responsibility [the Vice President] has for the people of this country. And as a government, irrespective of elections, we have to make sure that the people of this country have some relief.”
Highlighting that this is part of a broader health agenda, Dr Nsiah-Asare stated, “Going into next year, God willing, when Ghanaians give us the chance again, we’ll put up a comprehensive policy plan so that we can take care of all chronic diseases.”
According to him, this plan will go beyond dialysis to include various chronic conditions, offering lasting support for all citizens facing serious health challenges.
Dr Nsiah-Asare concluded by affirming that the free dialysis policy will continue with the same dedication, fulfilling the government’s pledge to improve the well-being of Ghanaians.
“We know what we are standing on; we know what goes into it. We’ve thought about it adequately, and our government doesn’t fail when we promise.”
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
4 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
4 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
4 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
4 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
4 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
4 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
5 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
5 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
5 hours -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
5 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
5 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
5 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
5 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
6 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
6 hours