Audio By Carbonatix
A New York judge has dismissed Justin Baldoni's $400m (£295m) defamation lawsuit against his former co-star Blake Lively.
The pair, who both starred in the 2024 film It Ends with Us, have been locked in a legal battle for several months, with a trial set for next year.
Judge Lewis Liman on Monday dismissed Baldoni's countersuit, which alleged extortion, defamation and other allegations.
Baldoni brought the suit after Lively filed a legal complaint last year against her former co-star, accusing him of sexual harassment and starting a smear campaign against her.
Lively filed a suit against Baldoni's Wayfarer Studios in December 2024, alleging she was sexually harassed on set and that Baldoni retaliated against her for bringing those complaints, among other allegations.
Lively also shared details of the allegations in a New York Times article published before her lawsuit.
Baldoni then brought defamation suits against Lively, her husband Ryan Reynolds, their publicist, claiming they were aiming to ruin his career and reputation with the allegations, as well as the New York Times.
Baldoni's lawsuit centred on two claims: that Lively "stole the film" from him and his company Wayfarer by threatening not to promote it, and that she and others promoted a false narrative that Baldoni sexually assaulted her and launched a smear campaign against her, Judge Liman explained in his opinion.
But Baldoni and his production company "have not adequately alleged that Lively's threats were wrongful extortion rather than legally permissible hard bargaining or renegotiation of working conditions", he wrote.
Additionally, the judge wrote, Baldoni and his company had not proved defamation because the "Wayfarer Parties have not alleged that Lively is responsible for any statements other than the statements" in her lawsuit, which are privileged.
The judge also determined that evidence did not show that the New York Times "acted with actual malice" in publishing their story, dismissing that $250m suit as well.
"The alleged facts indicate that the Times reviewed the available evidence and reported, perhaps in a dramatized manner, what it believed to have happened," he wrote. "The Times had no obvious motive to favor Lively's version of events."
In a statement shared with US media, Lively's lawyers called the opinion "a total victory and a complete vindication for Blake Lively, along with those that Justin Baldoni and the Wayfarer Parties dragged into their retaliatory lawsuit, including Ryan Reynolds, Leslie Sloane and The New York Times".
In a post on her Instagram, Lively said that "Like so many others, I've felt the pain of a retaliatory lawsuit, including the manufactured shame that tries to break us".
"While the suit against me was defeated, so many don't have the resources to fight back," she said, adding that she was "more resolved than ever to continue to stand for every woman's right to have a voice in protecting themselves".
The BBC has contacted Baldoni's lawyers for comment.
Judge Liman said Baldoni would be allowed to amend and refile his allegations related to interference with contracts by 23 June.
Judge Liman's dismissal comes a week after Lively asked to withdraw two of the claims in her suit against Baldoni - intentional infliction of emotional distress and negligent infliction of emotional distress.
In the original lawsuit, she said she experienced "severe emotional distress" in response to the alleged sexual harassment and smear campaign.
It Ends With Us is an adaptation of a best-selling Colleen Hoover novel, which features Blake Lively as the main character, Lily Bloom, a young woman who grew up witnessing domestic abuse and finds herself in the same position years later.
Latest Stories
-
Christopher Bonsu Baah win Staff Player of the Year award in debut season with Al Qadsiah
1 hour -
Laryea Kingston’s Uganda beat Ghana 8-7 on penalties to secure U-17 World Cup spot and extend Black Starlets’ absence to nine years
1 hour -
FIFA U17 World Cup playoffs: Uganda beat Black Starlets on penalties to qualify
1 hour -
2026 U17 WWCQ: Goalfest in Accra as Black Maidens hit Liberia for six
1 hour -
AyaSol initiative launched to support youth-led solar businesses in Ghana
2 hours -
Photos: e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soirée on AI-driven cyber threats
3 hours -
World Corporate Golf Challenge Ghana officially launches 2026 season
3 hours -
Prof Gyampo Writes: Democracy, free speech and the survival of the Ghanaian polity
3 hours -
Nestlé Ghana, ECOM Ghana hand over 6-unit classroom block to Adarkwa Methodist Primary School
3 hours -
e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soiree on AI-era leadership and cyber threats
3 hours -
Mahama rejects ‘kenkey and waakye party’ celebration after IMF exit, says economy still work in progress
3 hours -
David Hundeyin to release documentary on Tanzania election violence coverage
4 hours -
Photos: President Mahama cuts sod for 24-hour economy market in Bole
4 hours -
Ghana-eligible midfielder Kofi Amoako joins Hamburg from Dynamo Dresden
5 hours -
Mahama commissions Yamoransa Model Lab 13 to advance STEM and digital skills training
5 hours