Audio By Carbonatix
Government has urged authorities of the Kwame Nkrumah Univerisity of Science and Technology (KNUST) to reconsider their decision of turning all-male Katanga Hall into a mixed one.
Education Minister, Dr Matthew Opoku Prempeh in a letter to the Chairman of the University Council on Thursday explained that the move is “To preserve a peaceful and conducive environment for academic work and cordial relationship in the University.”
The KNUST Registrar, Andrews Kwasi Boateng, on Thursday called for calm on the university campus following rising tensions after the conversion of some traditionally single-sex halls into mixed halls.
He said the university is not insensitive to concerns raised by stakeholders concerning the conversions.
Mr Kwasi Boateng assured the university community as well as the general public that, the Chancellor is currently studying a committee report on the development.
This was formed when tensions arising out of the conversions, led to a closure of the university last year.
Reacting to the development, the Education Minister said the Ministry’s attention had been drawn to the brewing and simmering tension on the KNUST campus which is likely to affect academic work as well as the university community.
“The Ministry takes note of a similar situation last year which resulted in dire financial and security consequences,” Dr Opoku Prempeh said alluding to the Katanga hall conversion as the root cause of the situation.
The Minister was emphatic that “Whilst the Governing Council and management of the university reserve the right to take decisions they deem fit; it is important that some consideration is given to other views on the conversion policy of converting University Hall into a mixed hall.”
“I, therefore, wish to reiterate the position of government on this matter that (Katanga) University Hall remain a male hall of residence as prevailing in other sister universities e.g Commonwealth Hall in UG, Casely-Hayford Hall in UCC, Union, Ecowas and Savannah Halls in UDS,” he added.
Reacting to the development, the Education Minister said the Ministry’s attention had been drawn to the brewing and simmering tension on the KNUST campus which is likely to affect academic work as well as the university community.
“The Ministry takes note of a similar situation last year which resulted in dire financial and security consequences,” Dr Opoku Prempeh said alluding to the Katanga hall conversion as the root cause of the situation.
The Minister was emphatic that “Whilst the Governing Council and management of the university reserve the right to take decisions they deem fit; it is important that some consideration is given to other views on the conversion policy of converting University Hall into a mixed hall.”
“I, therefore, wish to reiterate the position of government on this matter that (Katanga) University Hall remain a male hall of residence as prevailing in other sister universities e.g Commonwealth Hall in UG, Casely-Hayford Hall in UCC, Union, Ecowas and Savannah Halls in UDS,” he added. DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Theo Dzimega defends judge’s discretion in Abronye DC bail, criticises Afenyo-Markin’s remarks
11 minutes -
Ghana Bar Association rejects ‘NPP’ tag by Ofosu Kwakye
30 minutes -
Hindsight: What next for the women’s relay team after African Championships?
31 minutes -
Opinion: President Mahama must reshuffle his cabinet now to save the NDC from internal cracks
1 hour -
We’ll not condone such acts – GBA condemns Afenyo-Markin’s judge attack
1 hour -
One shot dead, 7 others injured at galamsey site in Bibiani Anhwiaso Bekwai
1 hour -
Two men arrested over stunt at enclosure of famous monkey Punch
1 hour -
Belgian ex-diplomat Davignon dies before trial over Lumumba assassination
2 hours -
Dembele having treatment for calf strain, say PSG
2 hours -
Ghana placed in Pot 2 ahead of 2027 AFCON qualifying draw
2 hours -
Elon Musk loses lawsuit against OpenAI
2 hours -
Four killed in protests during Kenyan strikes over high fuel prices
2 hours -
Motorists stranded as floods submerge parts of Accra-Cape Coast highway
2 hours -
Absa Bank supports Holy Trinity SHS students with career guidance and financial literacy
2 hours -
At least 100 deaths reported in Ebola outbreak in DR Congo as 6 Americans exposed
2 hours