Audio By Carbonatix
Former First Lady and flagbearer of the National Democratic Party (NDP), has waded into the Ford Expedition gift saga, chastising President John Mahama for accepting the gift.
Nana Konadu Agyeman Rawlings also says the Mahama-led administration has failed to effectively fight corruption.
“If it is a gift that he is sitting in his Bole somewhere and someone says ‘oh I am giving you a car,” then, according to the former First Lady, allegations of conflict of interest would not have cropped up.
Mrs Rawlings was speaking to Francis Abban in an interview on Pulse, a current affairs programme on the Joy News channel on Multi TV, Monday.

President John Mahama
The President has come under severe criticisms following Joy News’ exposé that he accepted a Ford Expedition from Burkinabe contractor, Djibril Kanazoe.
Mr Kanazoe had previously been awarded two contracts by the state. He was in line for a third one when he voluntarily withdrew following the revelations.
The New Patriotic Party (NPP) have accused President Mahama of abuse of office, bribery and conflict of interest for receiving the vehicle.
Civil society organisations and legal experts say the President violated laws governing public office holders when he accepted the gift.
Nana Konadu said although she is not certain if the Burkinabe contractor presented the gift in 2012 as a token for the two contracts he was awarded, the vehicle presents legitimate suspicion.
“It is wrong. Anything in exchange for something is wrong. I think he [President Mahama] should have been the first person to say ‘hey you were looking for a contract, go through my [aides] don’t bring anything to me,’” she said.
She said like her father did, all statesmen and people in the position of power must ensure that they conduct themselves to remove suspicions of bribery and conflict of interest.
Latest Stories
-
Call off strike, give us one month to resolve payment issues – Education Minister appeals to GAUA
39 minutes -
GAUA to consult members after talks with Haruna Iddrisu as strike continues
52 minutes -
Man Utd will reject any bid for Fernandes
1 hour -
Guardiola-Walker fallout revealed in new documentary
1 hour -
NDC’s interest aligns with the Constitution – Srem-Sai defends push for speedy trials
1 hour -
Man City move for ÂŁ85m Bouaddi and still want Fernandez
2 hours -
Rodri lands in Barcelona to complete ‘dream’ move
2 hours -
Being fast doesn’t mean perverting justice – Srem-Sai challenges critics to prove manipulation
2 hours -
Lawyers can’t decide how cases run – Srem-Sai fires back in vacation court row
2 hours -
Aksa case should ordinarily be handled by OSP, not EOCO – Manhyia South MP
3 hours -
Norway’s king admitted to hospital and put on sick leave
3 hours -
Education Minister engages university administrators over ongoing strike
3 hours -
Technological convergence, disruptive innovation and the future of youth education in Ghana
3 hours -
When the sirens become a national anthem: confronting Ghana’s road accident crisis
4 hours -
Aksa bribery scandal exposes deeper failures in Ghana’s procurement system – Manhyia South MP
4 hours