The family of a one-year-old who was allegedly given expired drugs at the Ga West Municipal Hospital have given hospital authorities a five-day ultimatum to respond to their queries or they would resort to the court.
The child was given the drug when his parents took him to the facility for treatment of a continuous cough.
Hospital authorities are yet to respond to a request by the parents to sign an undertaking for their actions.
According to Linda Sarpong, mother of the child, hospital authorities are simply shirking their responsibility because all her attempts to get answers from their pharmacy, emergency and administration departments came to nought.
“I smell something fishy because initially, they told me they said they were not sure I bought the drug from them,” she told Joy News’ Hannah Odame.
According to Mrs Sarpong, when she later showed them the receipt, their narrative changed and they promised they will investigate.
"A nurse came to say although the health assistant on duty saw the expired drug in the polythene bag I brought, they changed it and injected the child with the right medicine.
“He told me he alerted those on night duty to discard the medicine and pick a new one and not administer the expired drug,” she narrated what she describes as a cock and bull story.
But the Medical Superintendent of the hospital, Dr E. Sarpong Ntiamoah, said they have instituted an investigative committee which is going to invite all the parties in the case to tell their side of the story.
"Not until the committee has sat and listened to all the parties and come out with their findings and recommendations very little can be said about the case," he said.
Watch the video:
Have your say
More Lifestyle Headlines
- 'Upskirting' to be criminalised in England, Wales
- Gender Ministry, Breast Care launch cancer quiz
- Researchers design long-acting contraceptive administered by microneedle
- 8 relationship experts define cheating
- Bel-Aqua educates customers on transporting, storing water
- Third of UN workers 'sexually harassed'
- 3 anti-ageing tips for your hands, neck & chest
- What is the right age to lose your virginity?
- First Lady leads campaign to break stigma of infertility
- 20 biggest regrets of people who married young
- Shenen Cosmetics names social media influencers as brand ambassadors
- Sit less and move more to reduce risk of early death, study says
- Things that are making it hard for you to move on after a breakup
- The lifesaving food 90% aren’t eating enough of
- 5 Signs That You've Landed in the Wrong Relationship