Ghana handed over the AfCFTA secretariat building to the African union commission couple of months ago at a colourful ceremony which received the president of Ghana, Nana Akufo-Addo, chairperson of African Union Commission, Secretary-General AfCFTA secretariat.
The Rules of Origin
The African continental free trade cannot be operational without the RoO ready. As at now it is 80 percent ready and if by January 2021 ,the complete book or document is not submitted to the customs institutions and points of entry of party states, then the 80 percent will be allowed to drive trade while time is allowed for the rest of the 20 percent to be completed.
Special application process for non-party states
It is worrying to acknowledge less than 35 members are fully party states of African continental free trade Area. If by January 2021 when trading commences, non-party states will have to apply through the set special application process for some stipulated period.
Set up AfCFTA National Coordinating Offices within the AfCFTA Secretariat and respective Offices.
Ghana will set up AfCFTA national coordinating office or centre to serve as a liaison office between her citizens ,private institutions, cso’s and the AfCFTA secretariat. This must be replicated by all party states in order to ease undue pressure on the secretariat.
The AfCFTA Secretariat must be fully autonomous
Our policy network has unravelled certain activities that can retard the performance of the AfCFTA secretariat. The appointment and recruitment of staff for the secretariat must be the preserve of the secretary general without undue interference from the African Union Commission (AUC). The secretary general is believed to have reminded the African Union Commission, his office is not an annex.
If possible all resources must be tailored to enable the AfCFTA secretariat to commence phase two(2) negotiations on investment, intellectual property rights and digital economy.
Though the AUC will want to alleviate the pressure on the secretariat it is better the autonomous AfCFTA secretariat be allowed to lead the phase two(2) negotiations.
The African ministers of trade must approve the operationalisation structures of the AfCFTA secretariat and ensure the schedules of priority products or sectors are submitted by all states.
We appeal to the United States of America to rescind her earlier decision not to recognise the AfCFTA agreement but rather engage African countries and not to have bilateral and multilateral agreements outside AfCFTA.
The Secretary General must as a matter of urgency partner the African private sector for budgetary support.
Louis Yaw Afful is Executive Director of AfCFTA Policy Network
- #FixTheCountry protestors counter injunction with #NameAndShame campaign on social media
- I had sex with a goat, masturbated 6 times a day – Male victim of sexual abuse recounts
- What is the big deal? – Brigitte Dzogbenuku on WGHS refusing to let students fast
- Mahama Ayariga acquitted, Opuni ordered to open his defence
- Methodist Church stands by its objection to GES directive to let Muslim students fast – Bishop of Northern Accra Diocese
- Government declares Thursday, May 13, as public holiday to mark Eid-ul-Fitr
- Chief allegedly orders for school to be demolished for his palace at Adumasa
- Ghana takes delivery of 350,000 doses of Covid-19 vaccine
- Prince Philip’s cause of death has been confirmed
- Demolish structures along ‘Right Of Way’ for railway projects – Otumfuo Osei Tutu II
Tanzanian city ‘running low on condoms’
It will be hypocritical for Akufo-Addo to prosecute leaders of Christ Embassy’s ‘Pneumatica Night’ – Sammy Gyamfi
Galamsey has not stopped, it’s destroying us; Akufo-Addo must do better – Nhyiaeso MP
Champions League final: Fans should not travel to Turkey, says UK government
European Super League: Nine clubs given financial sanctions by Uefa over breakaway
Power outages: Board’s approval needed for compensation to begin for affected consumers – PURC
PURC to work out compensations for consumers affected by power outages
King Promise announces signing to 5K Records/Sony Music UK
PURC concludes investigation on recent power outages
Some MPs ignore parliamentary duties; always chasing for contracts to survive – Majority Leader fumes
20 arrested in Atewa forest aren’t national security operatives – Oppong Nkrumah
No more compilation of Voters Register from scratch – CODEO recommends to EC
Eno Barony adds her voice to #FixTheCountry campaign
Great Olympics score late to end WAFA’s 6-year home unbeaten run
Nexvelsoft Ultimate Passco mobile app for studying WAEC past questions updates its features