Audio By Carbonatix
Novak Djokovic says he has "low expectations and high hopes" as he begins his French Open campaign on Tuesday, looking to win a 25th Grand Slam title.
The 37-year-old Serb claimed his third Roland Garros success in 2023 and begins this year's campaign against French wildcard Pierre-Hugues Herbert in the night session in Paris.
But Djokovic has not reached a final in 2024 and lost in the third round in Rome to Alejandro Tabilo and to Tomas Machac in the Geneva Open semi-finals earlier in May.
"I almost feel a bit embarrassed to say what my expectations are - low expectations and high hopes,” said Djokovic.

“Anything but a title for me is not satisfactory, it always has been like that. I know it might sound arrogant, but I have the career that backs it up."
Herbert, 33, is 142nd in the world rankings and never gone past the third round of a Slam.
Djokovic, who also won the French Open in 2016 and 2021, added: "In the Grand Slams I normally play the best tennis, at least I aim always to play the best tennis, and I was able to do that for most of my career, so that’s the goal.
“I have been saying for quite a while that in terms of clay I want to peak here in Paris, in Roland Garros."
Latest Stories
-
Haruna Iddrisu takes a subtle jibe at Asiedu Nketia’s ‘Thank You Tour’
8 minutes -
GSA, PTB donate 50 calibrated weighing scales to Techiman traders on World Metrology Day
42 minutes -
US says temporary visa holders should leave to apply for Green Cards
46 minutes -
Asiedu Nketia pledges stronger welfare support for former NDC executives
53 minutes -
NDC parliamentary leadership reshuffle secured 2024 election victory – Asiedua Nketiah
2 hours -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, warns of more danger around mountain
2 hours -
TTAG urge government’s urgent action on recruitment and postings
2 hours -
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
3 hours -
NAIMOS arrest one foreign national and 7 Ghanaians in anti-galamsey operation in Ashanti Region
3 hours -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
3 hours -
GoldBod wins community backing for responsible mining support program in Ashanti Region
3 hours -
Xenophobic attack: Why announce evacuation without preparation? – Minority caucus questions gov’t
3 hours -
Government failed Ghanaians in South Africa — Minority slams evacuation delay
3 hours -
Heavy downpour leaves Kaneshie, other parts of Accra flooded
3 hours -
Mahama’s STEM push aims to build curious, creative students – Haruna Iddrisu
3 hours