Former President John Mahama has blamed the Akufo-Addo government for the surge in highway robbery cases across the country.
According to him arms and ammunitions supposed to be in the possession of the state security apparatus have been handed over to party vigilantes and are unleashing it on citizens.
“Arms, ammunition and uniforms for state security have been handed over to vigilante groups.
“Prison Officers, Immigration Officers, Police officers and soldiers have not received uniforms for a year. If you see a police officer in a faded uniform, do you think people will accord respect to them?” he quizzed.
This, he said, has reduced the high morale of security officers who have sworn to protect lives and properties.
“The level of security in the country has diminished, armed robbers are fearless and have no regard for security personnel, they go and block main roads and rob passengers.”
The Mfantseman MP, Ekow Quansah Hayford was shot by unidentified gunmen while returning from a campaign tour of his constituency.
Also, the NDC Parliamentary candidate for the Zebilla Constituency, Cletus Avoka escaped unhurt after armed robbers attacked his campaign convoy.
The NDC’s flagbearer addressing a mammoth rally at the Koforidua Prison’s park promised to resource the security services to fight crime when he recaptures power.
He also assured the gathering of providing a sustainable job for the country’s teeming youth if given the nod come December 7.
- #FixTheCountry agitators have no leaders – Barker-Vormawor
- 5 feared dead, 15 injured in accident on Accra-Tema motorway
- Wesley Girls’ SHS ‘no fasting” policy, strictly for health reasons – Old students
- Ramadan: UDS Dean of Education condemns Wesley Girls SHS management
- Companies continue to export rosewood to China despite ban – Inusah Fuseini
- Over 200 police personnel deployed to enforce mining directives across Ghana
- Why I rejected over ¢700k bribe – Anti-galamsey taskforce member
- Ghana’s 4x100m men’s relay team set to pitch camp in Europe ahead of Olympics
- Ramadan: Exercise restraint and circumspection in your comments – Peace Council to all stakeholders
- Claims of fasting affecting health unfounded – Islamic Medical Association, Ghana
Bolt launches its car-sharing service Bolt Drive
2 teenagers jailed for life after killing Italian police officer
Blunt and Blay: Finding ‘silence’ for Auntie Ohene from uncle Sam’s ‘noise’
Far from silence, we suffer a culture of noise – Elizabeth Ohene
Some celebrities give hope while others give excuses for #FixTheCountry
Seatbelt has saved me 3 times – Alban Bagbin
Nigeria kidnappers free 27 college students
Zulu Kingship: Royals and rebels fight for throne
Election 2020: EC saved Ghana $90m as compared to 2016 election – Bossman Asare
Pupils in Adaklu admonished to utilise ultramodern ICT lab to develop skill
Lady Gaga’s dognappers apprehended
Otumfuo charges Housing Minister to work towards ending perennial floods
Today’s front pages: Thursday, May 6, 2021
5 feared dead, 15 injured in accident on Accra-Tema motorway
Elizabeth Ohene: Culture of noise