Audio By Carbonatix
The brewer behind Corona beer has warned of the steepest decline in quarterly profit for at least a decade after the coronavirus outbreak cost it $170 million (£132 million) in lost profit.
Anheuser-Busch InBev”‹ is the world’s biggest brewing giant and is also behind the Budweiser and Stella Artois brands.
It forecast that its first-quarter earnings will tumble by about 10 per cent after the virus saw demand slump in China.
The outbreak also coincided with the Chinese New Year, sending the company’s shares 8 per cent lower.
AB InBev estimates the earnings hit across China after seeing around $285 million (£221 million) of lost sales in the first two months of 2020 alone due to Covid-19.
The Belgium-based group said: “The impact of the Covid-19 virus outbreak on our business continues to evolve.
“The outbreak has led to a significant decline in demand in China in both on-premise and in-home channels.
“Additionally, demand during the Chinese New Year was lower than in previous years as it coincided with the beginning of this outbreak.”
Last month USA Today reported Google searches in the US for "Corona beer virus" and "beer virus" spiked amid other searches related to "coronavirus symptoms", which saw a 1,050 per cent increase.
AB InBev’s warning comes amid a swathe of company alerts over the impact of coronavirus on demand and supply, with Microsoft also adding to the growing list.
The US tech giant revealed overnight it will miss revenue guidance for its Windows and Surfaces businesses and blamed uncertainty over coronavirus and an impact on its supply chain, while a raft of UK firms also revealed the toll taken on Thursday, including banking giant Standard Chartered.
AB InBev also admitted its 2019 performance was “below our expectations” as net profits slumped to 114 million US dollars (£88 million) in the final three months from 456 million US dollars (£353 million) a year earlier.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
27 minutes -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
48 minutes -
The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
51 minutes -
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
1 hour -
The Cost of Macroeconomic Stabilization: An Analysis of the Bank ofGhana’s 2025 Financial Deficit
2 hours -
Haruna Iddrisu takes a subtle jibe at Asiedu Nketia’s ‘Thank You Tour’
2 hours -
GSA, PTB donate 50 calibrated weighing scales to Techiman traders on World Metrology Day
2 hours -
US says temporary visa holders should leave to apply for Green Cards
2 hours -
Asiedu Nketia pledges stronger welfare support for former NDC executives
2 hours -
NDC parliamentary leadership reshuffle secured 2024 election victory – Asiedua Nketiah
4 hours -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, warns of more danger around mountain
4 hours -
TTAG urge government’s urgent action on recruitment and postings
4 hours -
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
4 hours -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
4 hours -
GoldBod wins community backing for responsible mining support program in Ashanti Region
4 hours