George Owusu also known as Nana Yaw, one of the two persons arrested for attempting to smuggle narcotics into prison was on Wednesday remanded into prison by a Cape Coast Circuit Court.
The accused tried to convince a Prison officer to smuggle 15 slabs of suspected narcotic substance into the Ankaful Maximum Prisons.
His plea was not taken and would reappear in court on Wednesday, January 27 for a hearing.
However, his 17-year old accomplice was granted a police inquiry bill.
Detective Chief Inspector Theresa Agbavor narrated the facts of the case in Court, saying the complainant is a Prison officer at the Ankaful Maximum Prisons.
She said sometime December last year, Yaw contacted the Prison Officer to convince him to smuggle the substance into the prison yard to be given to one Kwasi Boakye, an inmate serving a 45-year prison term.
She said the Officer then disclosed the deal to the authorities at the Prisons.
She said on Saturday, January 09, Yaw called the Officer to meet him for the substance and he was arrested at a guest house at Abiee, a community near Ankaful.
- Police arrest man flogging toddler in viral video
- Daddy Lumba opens up on being bedridden for over 5 years
- ‘Akufo-Addo must resign; he’s giving us too much headache’ – Kpebu
- Loans to become more expensive as BoG hikes policy rate to 24.5%
- Government increases cocoa price by 21% to ¢800 a bag
- Black Sherif releases ‘The Villain I Never Was’
- Ghana’s debt to GDP is not properly accounted for – Ato Forson
- Nigerian oil export terminal had theft line into sea for 9 years
- Residents of Ashalaja sleep in kiosks as their homes remain flooded
- IMF won’t lend to Ghana if debt levels are unsustainable – Theo Acheampong
- #NoToGalamsey: Failure to deal with ‘galamsey’ could lead to street terrorism – Prof. Gatsi
- AngloGold Ashanti pleased with community support to ward off illegal miners from Obuasi concession
- Nigerian singer Teni gifts SHS teacher a car
- Prosecute Chairman Wontumi, Charles Bissue, others neck-deep in galamsey – NDC to Akufo-Addo
- Cities and Habitats, Ecobank launch ‘Rent to Own Boafo) home ownership package
- A-G advises Interior Ministry to compensate Ejura shooting victims
- GEPA optimistic of achieving 2029 NTES revenue target of $25.3bn
- Two health institutions in UK award £10 million to fight non-communicable diseases in West Africa
- Parliament warns Herald Editor to cease exposés on controversial GNPC/Genser Energy contract
- Cardiovascular diseases on the rise in Ghana; access to healthcare still a challenge – Report
- Power supply was curtailed to Weija, adjourning communities due to flood – ECG
- Nigeria Plans 15% Increase in Borrowing to Fund Record Deficit
- Government running Ghana as “a satellite state of international capital” – Martin Amidu
- Playback: NDC holds presser on illegal mining
- Daniel Afriyie Barnieh to run down Hearts contract as he rejects new deal