Audio By Carbonatix
The National Media Commission (NMC) has dispelled information circulating social media and some mainstream media that, it has banned fetish priests from advertising on television.
Executive Secretary of the Commission, George Sarpong, in a statement said, no such directive had been meted out to fetish priests, therefore, such information must be disregarded.
“The story did not attribute its source to any named person within the Commission thereby, raising questions about source credibility.”
Mr Sarpong also clarified that, the Commission is an autonomous body, hence, it will be unconstitutional should the President or any other person or body, order the NMC to carry out any action.
“The Commission’s Guidelines on Religious Broadcasting contain no provision which could remotely be interpreted to mean what is claimed in the fake news,” he added.
He further expressed worry over the recent rise in fake news in the Ghanaian mainstream media. Professional journalists must always be concerned about the authenticity of the source before disseminating the news, he stated.
Latest Stories
-
Eric Tinkler motivated by challenge of improving Kotoko
12 minutes -
Today’s front pages: Wednesday, August 19, 2026
21 minutes -
‘You can’t improve players on pitches like this’ – Kotoko coach Tinkler
25 minutes -
Petroleum Commission says regulatory reviews have saved Ghana US$2.2bn
26 minutes -
Prosecution of former NPP appointees not political persecution – Mustapha Gbande
30 minutes -
Revised Ghana Card fees approved by Parliament, not unilaterally introduced – NIA
32 minutes -
NIA says Labone Prestige Centre is optional, district offices remain operational
36 minutes -
Three-month-old baby girl found abandoned in Ada bush
37 minutes -
Boakye Agyarko vows to rebuild NPP into a winning force ahead of 2028
42 minutes -
One seriously injured as four vehicles crash on Ofankor–Pokuase stretch days after fatal accident
52 minutes -
GES denies GH¢1,500 Free SHS payment directive, urges parents to ignore viral claim
2 hours -
The losses were necessary – Manteaw defends GoldBod’s costly push to win Ghana’s gold market
3 hours -
We are concerned about inflation outlook when it comes to MPC decisions – BoG Governor
3 hours -
GoldBod had to ‘pay more’ to beat Indians, Chinese in Ghana’s gold market – Manteaw
3 hours -
Gov’t pays GH¢10.8bn DDEP Coupon in full and on schedule
3 hours