Lionel Messi’s name was met by whistles from some Paris St-Germain fans before they fell to a seventh defeat of 2023 at home to Lyon.
The Argentine, linked to Barcelona when his contract expires this summer, has seen two Champions League last-16 exits in his two seasons at the club.
Whistles could be heard as his name was announced beforehand, although some fans chanted his name in support.
Lyon forward Bradley Barcola scored the only goal as PSG were booed off.
The game kicked off 10 minutes late as Lyon’s bus could not fit under a bridge so they had to drive around the capital.
Alexandre Lacazette had earlier struck a post with a penalty for the ninth-placed visitors.
Kylian Mbappe, PSG’s all-time top scorer, almost rescued a point late on, but his shot was saved.
The perennial French champions are now only six points above Lens and Marseille with nine games left.
PSG have lost seven of their 18 matches in all competitions since the end of the World Cup, having been unbeaten in all 22 games before the break.
Messi is in talks with PSG about extending his contract, but Barcelona have also approached him about a return to the club where he spent the bulk of his career. He has scored 29 goals in 67 games for the club.
- Arthur Kobina Kennedy: The people’s movement on the street
- Ghana to leverage on funerals to boost local tourism – Tourism Minister
- Tory Lanez ‘scared for his life’ in prison after Megan Thee Stallion shooting
- Samples from ‘most dangerous known rock in the Solar System’ brought to Earth
- NPP National Youth Wing commends government development efforts amid demonstration
- Writers Guild, studios reach tentative deal, potentially ending monthslong strike that ground Hollywood to a halt
- Russian man imprisoned 22 years ago escapes on the day of his release
- 8 people describe the exact moment they knew they found someone worth the risk
- Bankye ampesi reduces risk of colon cancer
- Stop romanticizing the past so you can enjoy your life
- Woman who held 16 jobs simultaneously for three years never actually did any work
- The 5 potential stages of a breakup, according to relationship experts
- Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu mourns late former MP for Bantama
- What is love bombing and how is it different from falling in love?
- Are You Dealing With a Narcissist or Just a Selfish Jerk?