Audio By Carbonatix
The Electoral Commission (EC) says it has noted with worry the trend where minors and foreigners are taking advantage of the guarantor system in its limited registration exercise.
According to a Deputy Chairperson of the EC, Dr Bossman Asare, the EC continues to see images and receive reports from its officers about minors and other ineligible people registering.
He noted that the unqualified and eligible voters were able to take advantage of the guarantor system with the support of some members of the political parties.
He made this remark during an address to the press on Thursday while giving an update on the ongoing registration exercise so far.
“We have noticed that minors and foreigners have taken advantage of the guarantor system … this must stop,” he said.
According to the Dr Asare, the political parties as key stakeholders, are expected to support the EC to ensure its registers are credible.
He said, “if there are key people who will benefit from the voters register, we strongly believe that political parties will be one of the main beneficiaries.”
He, therefore, issued a stern warning to political parties to immediately stop busing minors to registration centers to take part in the exercise.
Dr Asare said parents must also ensure their children who are not 18 years old do not attempt to register.
“We would like to use this opportunity to dissuade parents who are less than 18 years old from being coerced by anyone to assume a new age and register as a voter because they may find themselves on the wrong side of the law,” he cautioned.
"As a result, the EC shares the strong belief that the guarantor system has outlived its usefulness, adding that the Commission “is convinced that the time is right for a system that every registrant is identified on his or her own merit rather than another person vouching for the age and nationality of that person.”
Against this backdrop, he called on the government to urgently resource the National Identification Authority (NIA) to make Ghana cards available, as that will become the sole document for registering new voters once the EC gets parliament's approval for its new Constitutional Instrument, C.I.
Dr Asare further urged the media, and civil societies to support the Commission to ensure the laying and passing of the proposed Constitutional Instrument that seeks to make the Ghana Card the only identification material for registering for a voter’s card.
Meanwhile, the EC says it has registered over 670,000 eligible voters already in sixteen days with barely five days to end the exercise. The Commission is confident that it will hit its target of 700,000 and beyond.
Latest Stories
-
Digital Mob Justice: How reckless Social Media destroy marriages, families, and lives
1 minute -
NAIMOS arrests 4 armed suspects along Ankobra River
4 minutes -
Court of Appeal restores license of GN Savings and Loans
13 minutes -
M-KOPA Ghana Impact Report reveals smartphones are unlocking health insurance and economic opportunity
14 minutes -
Fire destroys Afiadenyigba SHS dormitory
32 minutes -
Commuters stranded as train derails after crushing stray cattle at Avenor
38 minutes -
Gov’t “over impressed” IMF with deep expenditure cut in 2025 – Prof Bokpin
51 minutes -
FDA intensifies checks on imported frozen chicken, meat and fish to boost food safety
1 hour -
Policy rate at 14%: Middle East crisis is the elephant in the room – BoG boss
1 hour -
Accra High Court grants GH¢100,000 bail to Abronye DC
1 hour -
Policy rate held at 14% as Middle East Crisis clouds inflation outlook – BoG Governor
1 hour -
Police launch manhunt for suspect in Sekondi for alleged defilement
2 hours -
Arrests must continue until misconduct ceases – David Vondee
2 hours -
WFP and partners assess impact of US-funded school feeding programme
2 hours -
Lastec Auto Centre: The man who sold his Mercedes to build a garage brand in Accra
2 hours