Mozambique is planning a new law that will regulate churches’ activities, impose taxes on them, and require them to have a minimum number of 200 signatures in order to register.
Justice, Constitutional and Religious Affairs Minister Helena Kida said a government analysis had revealed “warning signs” amid a runaway proliferation of churches.
Mozambique has a total of 900 officially registered religious denominations, but a lot more exist.
The Christian Council of Mozambique (CCM) is backing most of the provisions of the proposed law, saying it recognises that the government wants to “bring order”.
The provision to tax churches however worries the churches.
“It’s an aspect that was talked about, but we didn’t reach any consensus,” says CCM President Felicidade Chirindza, noting that churches have never been taxed.
- Bawumia, NPP and NDC bigwigs mourn with Jospong CEO
- Akufo-Addo’s travels have benefits, what about yours? – Presidency to Ablakwa
- IMANI Africa lists 10 challenges with National Cathedral
- Akufo-Addo’s Minister caught in conflict? – JoyNews investigations
- Ablakwa seeking to achieve prominence with negative attacks on Akufo-Addo – Presidency
- MTN FA Cup 2022: Hearts of Oak beat Bechem United to retain title
- Tiler gets 7 years for defilement; claims victim forced him to have sex with her
- Man found dead on a farm after going missing
- Presidential travels: We’re reaping the rewards of bitter seeds – Presidency on Ablakwa’s allegations
- Current government is tolerant – Asabee
Atwima Mponua Rural Bank increases profit margins by 100% in 4 years
DVLA defends position as best procurement institution in public sector
G7 summit: Leaders detail $600bn plan to rival China’s Belt and Road initiative￼
Cape Coast – Twifo Praso road to be closed today for repair works on Junkwa bridge
Intravenous Infusions announces increase in revenue of 9.6% for 2021 financial year
Interest payments to rise further as cost of borrowing increases
Today’s front pages: Monday, June 27, 2022
Government assesses impact of economic interventions from June 27
Akufo-Addo’s Minister caught in conflict? – JoyNews investigations
Current government is tolerant – Asabee
NPP Chairmanship race: I stand tall above the rest – Asabee
NPP Flagbearership race: I have not declared support for Bawumia – Asabee
Tiler gets 7 years for defilement; claims victim forced him to have sex with her
MTN FA Cup 2022: Hearts of Oak beat Bechem United to retain title
Playback: The Probe interviewed Asabeee on NPP Chairmanship race