Audio By Carbonatix
The Chief Executive Officer of the National Food Buffer Stock Company (NAFCO), George Abradu-Otoo, has disclosed that 14 companies have so far been licensed to supply food commodities under the company’s current procurement framework.
The licensed firms are authorised to procure food directly from farming communities and deliver the commodities to NAFCO warehouses across the country.
“So far, we’ve licensed about 14 companies. They have their agents. Once you are licensed, you can go to places like Asutsuare to buy rice, deliver it to our warehouse and provide proof,” Mr Abradu-Otoo said in an interview on Face to Face on Channel One TV on Tuesday, 3 February.
He explained that all commodities supplied by the licensed companies are received and verified at NAFCO warehouses by designated officials, including storekeepers and regional managers, before being accepted into storage.
Mr Abradu-Otoo said pricing is determined by a Price Determination Committee made up of representatives from key stakeholder institutions, including the Ministry of Food and Agriculture, the Peasant Farmers Association, the Rice Millers Association and NAFCO.
According to him, the committee relies on research and market data gathered across the country to agree on prices. Once agreed, the proposed prices are submitted to the Public Procurement Authority (PPA) for review and approval.
“They give the final authority, and based on that, we announce the prices and proceed,” he said.
Mr Abradu-Otoo stressed that the process is designed to ensure transparency, accountability and strict compliance with procurement regulations, adding that NAFCO’s immediate focus is on managing excess food supply.
“Our main concern right now is the glut,” he stated.
Latest Stories
-
Economy experience high but unbalanced growth from mid-2000 to 2022 debt crisis – Former 1st Deputy Governor
11 minutes -
Tell Your Story: Political, business and industry leaders to share journey with young Ghanaians
20 minutes -
‘Gold cannot save you at 2am’ – Obuobia Darko challenges mining giants to invest in healthcare
29 minutes -
Wontumi’s incarceration will not stop his chairmanship bid – Palgrave
37 minutes -
Eurobond borrowings over 2007-2021 used for budget financing; Ghana borrowed US$15.59bn – Opoku-Afari
42 minutes -
Newborn baby found in dustbin at Kasoa Main Station toilet
47 minutes -
Ghanaian skincare brand KAEME wins DHL ESG Excellence Exporter of the Year award
1 hour -
Ho Communique: Democracy Not for Sale
2 hours -
National Health Insurance Levy Uncapped: The Game Changer
2 hours -
Akwatia MP accuses Minority of shifting GoldBod debate from facts to personal attacks
2 hours -
Gov’t to spend GH¢2.8bn on secondary infrastructure as Education Minister pushes foundational learning
2 hours -
This is the result of GoldBod activities – Akim Oda MP demand answers over $1.7bn loss
3 hours -
Photos: Sammy Gyamfi at Government Accountability Series
3 hours -
Ghana School of Law SRC President-elect petitions authorities for relief for referred students
3 hours -
Promasidor Ghana unveils Onga Mix Tomato Paste, names Diana Hamilton brand ambassador
3 hours