Emanuel Navarrete, WBO super-featherweight champion, has vacated his WBO featherweight title, only seven days after becoming a three-weight champion.
The 28-year-old boxer floored Liam Wilson in controversial fashion to land the then-vacant WBO super-featherweight title, making him a three-weight champion.
Following that victory, he had a decision to make: to vacate the WBO featherweight title and seek a new challenge or fight the winner of Isaac Dogboe v Robeisy Ramirez and keep the crown.
Navarrete said, “After closely analyzing the situation with my team, we have decided to keep the WBO junior lightweight title. I feel very happy with the three title defenses that I made at featherweight, but I am also convinced that my future is now at junior lightweight. We are going after the big fights at 130.”
His decision to vacate means that Dogboe v Ramirez on April 1 suddenly becomes a world-title fight, instead of an eliminator.
Dogboe, whose only two career defeats have come to the Mexican, could be relieved with the Mexican’s decision despite earlier telling JoySports he did not care who he fought, as he prepares for Ramirez.
“So long as there’s blood flowing through every person, everyone is beatable. He’s a man like I am, I don’t think anyway about him and at the end of the day, it is a fight. The only thing is, he prepares, I prepare and then we put on a great fight. My thoughts are I’m going for a win, I’m not there to make numbers. He’s won two gold medals at the Olympics, congratulations to him [but] I’ve been there. I didn’t win a medal at the Olympic Games [but] I won a world title.”
- Mobile Money transactions in only 2 months of 2023 hit ¢264.1bn
- We would all have sworn to Antoa if my dad was alive – Zanetor Rawlings
- I don’t know – Akufo-Addo on presence or otherwise of Al-Qaeda troops in Ghana
- Kamala Harris urges Ghana’s creditors to help meet debt obligation amid IMF talks
- Speculation that NDC imposed its decision on Minority Caucus is untrue – Sammy Gyamfi
- Popular American filmmaker Spike Lee is in Ghana
- T-Bills auction: sales undersubscribed by 23%; interest rates remain stable
- BoG increases policy rate to 29.5%; loans to remain expensive
- AFCON 2023Q: Osman Bukari salvages point for Black Stars against Angola
- We’re committed to helping Ghana resolve current economic crisis – China assures
- Gold Mafia: Gold smuggler sneaks $40 million worth of gold out of Ghana every month
- Harris’ visit should accelerate US-Ghana partnerships – Genser
- NDC’s ‘betrayal’ may have been the result of several factors – Dr. Seidu Alidu
- Taking pictures, videos of ballots was not a party directive – Murtala Mohammed
- NDC as a party did not fail Ghanaians – Kofi Adams
- There had been broad consultation, consensus to reject President’s ministerial nominees – Murtala Mohammed
- Israel Laryea is away “on loan” at Influencer Africa
- Patriotism won over partisanship – Annoh-Dompreh on approval of six ministerial nominees
- Playback: PM Express discuss NDCs betrayal
- Fight against galamsey will be won if Akufo-Addo loses power – Kwakye Ofosu
- People fail in life due to their mindset – Motivational speaker
- Become the voice of climate change reporting – Climate Change Fellows urged
- Destination Ghana Global Project announces This Is Africa Festival
- Kamala Harris features Black Sherif, Amaarae on Spotify playlist
- Kwaebibirem United FC to raise funds to support operation of the club