The opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) in the Ashanti Region is demanding the arrest and prosecution of persons who assaulted the Ejura-Sekyere-Odumase MP and two registration agents.
Muhammed Bawah Braimah MP for Ejura-Sekyere-Odumase was allegedly attacked by persons believed to belong to the opposition New Patriotic Party (NPP) at Ejura, while the agents were beaten up at Drobonso.
Party leaders say they have made names of suspects available to police and expect them to be apprehended within 72 hours.
Regional Secretary, Kwame Zu and Communications Officer, Abass Nurudeen, addressed the media in Kumasi said the police and military persons witnessed the assault.
“The police and the military, who are expected to stay in the middle have now teamed up with the NPP to assault NDC members.
“Soldiers and police are being directed by DCEs to beat NDC agents at polling stations and our MP for Ejura, who nearly lost his life.
“At Drobonso, two of our agents were just challenging some non-citizens who were at a centre to write their names. They called police officers to beat them up,” Mr Nurudeen alleged.
The NDC is also alleging that police and military personnel deployed to monitor the registration exercise are intimidating its members.
It also accused the Electoral Commission of padding figures recorded in the on-going registration exercise as part of a plot to rig the 2020 polls for the governing party.
- NPP is best party to develop Ghana – COP Alex Mensah
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Unleashing terror squad on peaceful protesters shameful, unacceptable – Minority to police
- Kwabena Owusu scores for Ferencvaros in win over Cukaricki
- Bernard Tekpetey provides two assists as Ludogorets thump Spartak Trnava
- Baba Rahman provides assist as PAOK beat HJK in five-goal thriller
- Mohammed Kudus scores to inspire West Ham to comeback win over Backa Topola
- #OccupyJulorBiHouse: Derogatory captioning of Presidency by organisers unacceptable – Richard Ahiagbah
- 45 Ghanaian start-ups under AfriConEU project exposed to African market opportunities
- Official statement announcing Dr Sam Ankrah’s candidacy for President
- South Africa: Ninety schoolchildren given ‘cannabis muffins’
- DDEP: Ghanaians affected by “Technical Haircut” – Dr. Adu Anane Antwi
- Losing our father was the price we paid for Ghana’s independence – Samia Nkrumah
- Ghana needs at least a decade to recover from DDEP – Agnes Abankwa
- #OccupyJulorBiHouse: Where is IGP Dampare in all of this? – Ghanaians quiz
- #OccupyJulorBiHouse: Celebrities react, advocate for release of arrested protestors