Audio By Carbonatix
The National Democratic Congress (NDC) has failed to show up at the final dialogue on the disbandment of political vigilantism organised by the National Peace Council.
Peace Council Chairman, Prof Emmanuel Asante, addressing the media on Thursday, said representatives of the opposition party did not state any reason for absenting themselves from the forum although they are abreast with issues being discussed.
“The outcome will be conveyed to them, and a date will be set for the public signing after we have endorsed it,” Prof. Asante told journalists.
He added that “the NPP [New Patriotic Party] and NDC will engage all the institutions who have been given assignment in the road map as soon as we bring closure to the dialogue.”
The two main political parties, the governing NPP and the opposition NDC, under the auspices of the Peace Council have met four times so far to decide practical steps on how to deal with what experts say “threatens Ghana’s peace.”
The Chairman assured Ghanaians that, the Council will collaborate with political parties to ensure that the recommendations and implementations are realised.
Prof Asante then called on Ghanaians and responsible institutions to support the outcome of the dialogue process to ensure the total eradication of vigilantism.
He commended the parties for their commitment to solving the issue of vigilantism in the country.
“We are making history and it is my prayer that our children and grandchildren will live to bless our days especially our leaders, for standing firm and making choices that will secure the nation them,” he stated. The Ayawaso Wuogon by-election held on January 31, 2019, turned bloody when some armed men in SWAT camouflage interrupted the La Bawaleshie Presby School polling centre. The masked men were alleged to be members of a vigilante group in the governing NPP. President Addo Danquah Akufo-Addo condemned the violence saying, “The isolated incident of violence, which occurred in the early stages of the election, was unfortunate and regrettable, and I condemn it in no uncertain terms.”Latest Stories
-
Wontumi Out, COKA In: How NPP’s new Ashanti chairman differs from his predecessor
36 minutes -
With unity, we will win 2028 election – Bawumia
39 minutes -
‘The restoration begins’ – Okoe Boye pledges to rebuild NPP in Greater Accra
45 minutes -
Ghana, Netherlands deepen cooperation to tackle illicit drug trade
52 minutes -
One dead, eight injured in head-on crash on Kasoa–Winneba Road
58 minutes -
Cedi stages strong recovery as dollar supply improves, demand eases
59 minutes -
Duncan-Williams warns galamsey could endanger Ghana’s future generations
59 minutes -
Fire ravages wooden structures at Tantra Hill’s Golden Door area
1 hour -
Petrol prices to drop today with diesel up in mixed pump price review
1 hour -
Okoe Boye will help NPP win more seats in Greater Accra – Bawumia
1 hour -
I am open to work with everyone to win 2028 — Bawumia
1 hour -
Peace, security practitioners tasked to deepen stakeholder collaboration
1 hour -
Public pay system must balance fair wages with fiscal sustainability – Government
1 hour -
Niharika Handa makes history as King Faisal’s first female Board Chair
1 hour -
Gov’t disburses GH¢23.1bn to clear road contractors’ arrears – Roads Minister
2 hours